How much wood do you get through ?

kev7937

Hi all

This is my first year with a wood burner and I'm slightly surprised how much I burn, my stove is rated at 3 to 7 Kw and its heating a smallish 3 bed bungalow which is fairly well insulated .

If I have the stove on all day I use about 5 wheely bins a month about 1.2 meters I think.

Is this excessive ?

Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had a Rayburn and log burner for 3 years now, averages out at about 15 cube for the whole year. Rayburn is on 24/7 for the winter and then just afternoon/evening rest of year.

Just had 14 solar pv panels fitted so electricity bill should come down by half - and that's our only fuel bill!

This may be the wrong place to ask

Most tree surgeons with log burners burn their own wood and don't really count.

In fact probably keep the house much hotter than necessary.

I know we do.

It's a case of burning less when guests drop by

I'm looking at my log pile and hoping it stays cold enough long enough to get through it all by spring so I can have my patio back:biggrin:

I was stunned by how much the woodburner in this house we moved to gets through.. a good wheelbarrow-full a day and i'd estimate some 10 cube+ since october.

If I wasn't retired with free wood then i could earn more in the time spent cutting/splitting than it'd cost to buy oil and save the hassle, mess and dust..

This may be the wrong place to ask

Most tree surgeons with log burners burn their own wood and don't really count.

In fact probably keep the house much hotter than necessary.

I know we do.

It's a case of burning less when guests drop by

I'm looking at my log pile and hoping it stays cold enough long enough to get through it all by spring so I can have my patio back:biggrin:

But as I am also a tree surgeon burning my own wood I can't count either, so as were all in the same boat it must count ( I think ).. :confused1::biggrin:

Burnt over 2m3 (softwood) on a rayburn (with back boiler) per month & thats only lighting it in the evening. So thats 100 quid cost per month @ 50 quid per 1m3 (what I paided).

Rayburn is probably a very unefficient compared to a modern woodstove that claims 80% efficiency or Wood Gasification boilers with a modern Accumulator tank. To upgrade would cost is alot though was hoping for the RHI scheme to come in soon to subsidy them :001_smile:

Oil would be cheaper & less hassle I reckon. But I always have the idea that one day oil price may go mental if something kicks off in iran anywhere else etc & the price ican only be heading up. Coal is cheaper but a dirty fuel dust gets everywhere.

Firewood one of the most expensive fuels atm if you have to pay for it probably

15kw stove with back boiler can do 2 heaped wheel barrow loads in a day if I stay in. I also put a bucket full of smokeless coal on at night. House is nice and warm now but when we moved in mid october it had been empty for 12 months and was at 6 degrees. These old stone houses take some real heating back up!!

Hi all

This is my first year with a wood burner and I'm slightly surprised how much I burn, my stove is rated at 3 to 7 Kw and its heating a smallish 3 bed bungalow which is fairly well insulated .

If I have the stove on all day I use about 5 wheely bins a month about 1.2 meters I think.

Is this excessive ?

Thanks.

I sell stoves and firewood. Most of my customers but a stove in the 4 to 5 kw range. Using the stove most evenings and weekends they all go through a cubic meter of softwood in around a month. I would have said a stove with a 7kw max output was a bit big and I suspect that you may be running the stove closed down a bit, this will reduce the flames to a degree and increase soots in the flue.

For the size of stove you have I would say your esage is about right.

A