Which big(ish) saw for occasional use?

BobG

I'd like a bigger saw than my 50cc Husky. I have a number old old ash and sycamore trees that I can use for firewood and their value as fuel given the recent (and future) rises in fuel prices means that I can justify buying a new, bigger saw. What would be a good saw for processing these big old trees? Some are over 3 feet in diameter and 40 feet tall. The saw will spend most of the time in the shed but will have to work hard when needed, I'm not too keen on these new saws with their fancy electronics.

Bob

n.b. I'd like a saw that sounds good too. :thumbup:

The MS660 (or secondhand 066) will certainly do what you want, but they're expensive to have sat around unused. You could consider an old 076 - very reliable, good parts availability and will slog away with a 3ft bar on for as long as your arms can take it. If you do go this route though I would seriously suggest trying the weight before buying - they're built to last!

Alec

I had a shot of Big J's 70cc makita today, I was impressed.

79cc Tom :thumbup1:

It's the DCS7901 and it's a saw I'm very quickly falling for. I bought it used, so it's run in, but it starts on the button (third pull out of the box when I got it), have never cut out whilst idling and has oodles of power. It's really a Dolmar anyway, not a Makita. It's still the wrong colour though! :lol:

Jonathan