Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Firewood forum Discuss Firewood production, storage and marketing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-11   #1 (permalink)

Hydraulic power pack for splitter

I'm wondering if a petrol engined hydraulic power pack such as a Panther Midi would have a high enough flow rate to run a smallish log splitter (say 6 to 8 tonne) at a reasonable speed.

I would like to have a compact power source and splitter that I could transport in a van and unload with with a swing lift.

The flow rate of the Panther Midi is 20 litres per minute (at 140 bar / 2000 PSI). I'm thinking of the type of splitter designed for mounting on a compact tractor three point linkage.

If anyone has experience or advice on this then I would be glad to hear.

Cheers,

Tom.
Old 08-06-11   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as hullsmillfarm

Re: Hydraulic power pack for splitter

I've no experience with power packs but it's something i briefly looked into for the same reason. i say briefly because my IH 856xl has a flow rate of 30lpm and i have to run her pretty hard to give a sensible speed on my splitter (not sure of splitter capacity, or in fact how to test... any info on this greatly received).
however on my CX 80 (nigh on 60lpm), just tick over gives fantastic cylinder speed, might have to try that at full pelt just to see how fast she can go!

Point being that i was put off from power packs as to provide the speed to be efficient i think you'd have to spend some serious money

Hulls Mill Farm Firewood and Wholesale Kindling
Follow me at https://twitter.com/#!/HullsMillFarm
Old 08-06-11   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

hi tom,

we made one from a breaker power pack.

works ace.

cylcle time is approx 3 seconds each way.

will cut through most logs

i was at an auction at the begining of the year and saw a diesel one, half as big again as ours.

keeping my eye out for one of those now to build another, this time with a discharge conveyor
Attached Images

Old 08-06-11   #4 (permalink)

I have a IH885xl that has a 30 ishLPM and that needed to be ran at 1800rpm to get a decent speed from the 10t splitter i have. However it chewed through around 4-5L of red in an hour.

I was going to build my own hydraulic pack but my mate said the JCB beaver is a good unit, so i looked into it and they do one with a lombardini diesel engine that has a flow rate of 25lpm. Building my own would have meant 60lpm was possible but the cost of the parts and time taken to build it would have meant i was looking at 800.

So I spent a grand inc delivery on a 2008 one of ebay and its superb, i am now using under 1L per hour, yes the splitter is slower but its actually only taking me 5 mins more to produce a cubic meter but at the moment i think the fuel saving is more important than 5 mins. I am now also able to put it in my trailer with the splitter in the back of my hilux and go to a clients house and split logs etc.

If i would have built one i wouldnt have had a load sensing throttle, hyrdaulic oil cooler, compact design or all of JCB experience.
Old 09-06-11   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom at Heartwood View Post
I'm wondering if a petrol engined hydraulic power pack such as a Panther Midi would have a high enough flow rate to run a smallish log splitter (say 6 to 8 tonne) at a reasonable speed.

I would like to have a compact power source and splitter that I could transport in a van and unload with with a swing lift.

The flow rate of the Panther Midi is 20 litres per minute (at 140 bar / 2000 PSI). I'm thinking of the type of splitter designed for mounting on a compact tractor three point linkage.

If anyone has experience or advice on this then I would be glad to hear.

Cheers,

Tom.
It might be worth looking at buying a purpose built 'off the shelf' splitter, either petrol or if you want it on a tractor, pto powered.
If you are going to have to buy both the splitter and powerpack, youre not going to save much.
Old 09-06-11   #6 (permalink)

My splitter and Power pack would cost him 1400, so i suppose he would be able to get a secondhand all in one for that money.... if he is lucky
Old 09-06-11   #7 (permalink)

We have a Belle Major 30-140 Hydraulic Power Pack, picked up on ebay, 13hp Honda GX390 petrol engine, 140 bar pressure, 30 litre per minute flow rate. Works the splitter really well & very portable, weights ~70KG.

TC
Old 09-06-11   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfall View Post
My splitter and Power pack would cost him 1400, so i suppose he would be able to get a secondhand all in one for that money.... if he is lucky
Would 1400 not come close to a new 10/11 ton honda petrol model? I bought a woodline bull special with honda engine about 2 years ago for 1300 plus vat.

For something in the 7 ton bracket, the lawnflite doesnt look bad value...

Log splitters | F R Jones and Son
Old 09-06-11   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Here is a little video of my splitter running off a jcb beaver powerpack. the spec of the powerpack says it runs 2050psi @ 20 l/min and it has more than enough power for me!

Old 09-06-11   #10 (permalink)

I'm running the same splitter as Matt off a JCB Trojan powerapack

Here's a vid of mine, this is from cold and the ram is a bit slow until the machine warms up (dunno if that means it needs a hyd oil change??)
You can get through logs at a fair rate with one person lifting them onto the bench and the other splitting