How much processed in a day?

rovers90

I have a Palax KS35 Ergo and wondered if anybody had the same or a similar machine, how much in tons would you expect to process in a day? We've just fulfilled a large order but were pretty devastated when we realised we were averaging 4 ton a day - it was put over the weigh bridge so we know that's accurate. It only equates to half a ton per hour.

The only thing we thought was time consuming was processing anything over 11inches in diameter as once split, we had to open the cover, lift the logs out and split them again as they were too big. The trunks sometimes got too big as well and we had to drag them out backward which was difficult. The next day we tried to weed the larger stuff out whilst loading the log deck with the loading shovel, downside though is large tree = more logs!

I have seen websites for companies that hire themselves out with a processor and they are stating they can do 10 to 15 tons in a day.

Any thought gratefully received.:confused1:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey, you're quick Nick! 26 ton in two days!!

There was two of us working and we managed 9 ton in two days. What size timber do you use? We quite often found we could cut the next log before the ram had completed its return fully, which if you cut all the way through the log and let it drop, once the ram is home the log falls out of line and you have to open the cover and position it properly = time lost!

We obvioulsy need a lot more practice!!

If the cord was dry it could have lost nearly half its weight. So you may have still done 8 cu metres. I have a hakki pilike 2x which should do 12" anything over 9" forget it, top two logs come out too big. i can ring and put through a vertical splitter and create less waste in not much more time. with 9" stuff cut to 1200mm long I can get 6 cu metres through an hour with someone loading. Get cord smaller than 5" it can take an hour to make 1.5 cu. For big cord u need a big processor, log deck, teleporter, big overdraught

i run a hakki 1x37. it can take up to 14" dia timber.

I work on my own and the best i have ever managed is 20m3 ( into bags not a pile) in one long day. as steve says above you need optimally sized timber (8" to 12" for me). it also needs to be clean to minimise tooth sharpening or chain changes.

with an extra pair of hands I could probably manage 30m3 a day split into bags.

do not get hung up on weight. measure your output by volume.