wood burning rayburn

cosworth

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mate has recently had one installed and it is logs only, having trouble to get it up to temp. Heats rads up ok but can't get oven hot enough to cook in. I supplied him with a tonne of kiln dried hardwood offcuts and this has got oven up to 180 for the first time. I would advise from what he says to make sure you don't run too many rads off it and get multi fuel, plus spend time researching which is best for you and not cheapest :)

We have an old (older than me) Rayburn Supreme. It does the hot water and 7 radiators, most meals in winter time, and today I was even using it as a makeshift forge to bend steel :laugh1:

Usually softwood during the day and coal overnight. I don't keep track of volume, but the logstore at the side of the house usually lasts a week to 2 weeks max. I reckon that must be about 0.6-0.7 m3 of stacked wood

We had Wood-only Rayburn (345W) fitted just over a year ago, can't fault it.

Ours is connected to a thermal store (along with log-burner in living room). This produces central heating and mains pressure hot water for a 3 bed semi (9 rads). We do 99% of our cooking on it as well.

Couldn't tell you how many logs we get through but it is probably around 15cubic metres, mixture of hardwood and softwood. The 345W will only take logs, not designed for any other fuel such as coal.

We can get it up to 200 centigrade in a couple of hours from a cold start (have had it over 250 when not paying any attention to it). The great thing is, if you like cooking, the oven and hot-plates are on all the time. Gets a good clean out every four weeks so we let it go cold for this.

If you have to buy in your logs it will be quite expensive to run.

We had Wood-only Rayburn (345W) fitted just over a year ago, can't fault it.

Ours is connected to a thermal store (along with log-burner in living room). This produces central heating and mains pressure hot water for a 3 bed semi (9 rads). We do 99% of our cooking on it as well.

Couldn't tell you how many logs we get through but it is probably around 15cubic metres, mixture of hardwood and softwood. The 345W will only take logs, not designed for any other fuel such as coal.

We can get it up to 200 centigrade in a couple of hours from a cold start (have had it over 250 when not paying any attention to it). The great thing is, if you like cooking, the oven and hot-plates are on all the time. Gets a good clean out every four weeks so we let it go cold for this.

If you have to buy in your logs it will be quite expensive to run.

funny i did wonder about asking about thermal stores on here!

we're on our 2nd following a move 355sfw which is the multifuel version, running 12 rads, 350 ltr thermal store for mains pressure hot water and its a great bit of kit. does all cooking bar defrosting in the microwave but eats wood, usually use steam coal to mix with it, but works well, we manage to keep it in all year round and its free (sepecially with left over steam coal and wood from the farm)

My mate has recently had one installed and it is logs only, having trouble to get it up to temp. Heats rads up ok but can't get oven hot enough to cook in. I supplied him with a tonne of kiln dried hardwood offcuts and this has got oven up to 180 for the first time. I would advise from what he says to make sure you don't run too many rads off it and get multi fuel, plus spend time researching which is best for you and not cheapest :)

The rayburn will easily acheive high oven temps, you need to forget the manual and remove the 2 summer / winter fire bricks completely. These are really intended for solid fuel. Mine will often go off the clock, I have had oven temps of 350 deg c, measured with my multimeter. Great for pizza.

I have never burned anything other than wood BTW.