Building a splitter advice please!

Big J

Over the course of the next few months I'm keen to build a fairly robust log splitter that is towable.

On one of the storage boxes that I use for my sawn timber, I have a 3 cylinder diesel engine that was previously used to drive the compressor for the refrigeration. It's quite a lump, being water cooled, but I reckon it would provide a lot of power for the hydraulic pump. I've yet to identify or even take out the engine though.

I have a tame mechanic/engineer who can do the necessary welding/construction for me. He is an old school perfectionist, making from scratch many parts for antique vehicles, such as 1920's Rolls Royce's for example.

So I guess my questions are:

* For those of you who have made splitters before, what would you do differently?

* Vertical or horizontal?

* Higher cycle speed/lower power or slower cycle/higher power?

* Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a small one off the net. 30 tonne ram and it does vertical or horizontal. I use mine in the horizontal position most of the time i just find it easier that way. Anyway point of post is that i only have a 9hp engine to power my ram and it will run for the whole day non-stop (without lunch) on about a fivers worth of petrol! Only reason i mention is that if you're towing a big diesel lump around and if you're only doing arb waste is it worth using a big diesel lump? Just my thoughts!!

Thanks for the replies folks!

It's primarily going to be used to splitting up sawmilling off cuts (typically Elm and typically knotty as hell) and splitting 1 meter lengths of cordwood. I reckon I'll be processing about 30 tonnes a year for myself and my neighbour, and would perhaps hire myself out on a day rate basis for firewood production.

I found out a bit of info on the motor - it's 15.2 hp @ 2425rpm and seems to be manufactured by Thermo King themselves. Getting it out shouldn't be an issue, and I like the idea that it could be quite efficient as well as very quiet.

If I weren't to use the engine for a splitter, what should I use it for?!

J would you not be quicker and cheaper buying this then making a chassis with wheels for towing plus adding a pump and oil tank to your engine?

hydraulic log splitter 17 ton ram on eBay (end time 15-Feb-11 23:36:13 GMT)

Unless you have access to lots of steel and rams for free then ignore this post :biggrin:

Haha - I did actually look at that exact advert Robert! It might well be cheaper, but I seem to usually be able to trade things I need for firewood, so maybe it would work out more cheaply to make one.

I've spent the last 10 minutes or so trying to work out what sort pump size I'd need to get a specific pressure on a specific cycle time, but failing miserably to find any info. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jonathan