Seasoning.. In your opinion

Dave Martin

In your opinion what do you consider the minimum seasoning time to get each of the following species of wood to below 25% (say stored in vented bags covered). And dont be purist and say 12 months to everything.

1. Ash …………. How many months ?

2. Oak…….. … How many months ?

3. Sycamore…….How many months ?

4. Holly ……… How many months ?

5. Maple ……… How many months ?

6. Eucalyptus ….. How many months ?

7. Apple……… How many months ?

8. Hawthorn …….How many months ?

9.Lime………… How many months ?

10. Poplar …….…How many months ?

depends on air flow, builders bags covered isn't the best way to dry it, its probably quicker in a heap as the bags impede air flow.

most will get below 25% over the summer, it also depends on sizes and wither split or not. ash and holly will burn green. oak and sycamore will need well over a year in a builders type bag, in a heap in our draughty barn maybe if split in spring it's burnable by sept.

depends on air flow, builders bags covered isn't the best way to dry it, its probably quicker in a heap as the bags impede air flow.

most will get below 25% over the summer, it also depends on sizes and wither split or not. ash and holly will burn green. oak and sycamore will need well over a year in a builders type bag, in a heap in our draughty barn maybe if split in spring it's burnable by sept.

Vented bags not builders bags .. on pallets with good air flow 10" logs. In my opinion ash and holly wont burn green and sycamore seasons well within six to nine months.

6. Eucalyptus ….. 6 inch wedges, 10 inch long, stacked in the open with top covered got down to 20% in 6 months. Not sure what variety Eucalyptus it was though. Burning it now though and wow! feelin hot hot hot..

Also burning Sycamore that was felled and split 7 weeks ago. It was 36% yesterday morning and some is now 21% after spending a day/night/day by my stove.

Ash will burn green best wood you can get. As for the rest between 4 to 6 months other than pop needs splitting and storing for a year. Been selling wood for 16-17 years and the idea of leaving wood to season for a year plus is a load of dogs round bits. Felled a large green beach last year in july, left in rings outside, split in september, dry as a bone burnt great on my fire. Anyone say otherwise is talking rubbish and has been reading the booklet you get with your new fire

Ash will burn green best wood you can get. As for the rest between 4 to 6 months other than pop needs splitting and storing for a year. Been selling wood for 16-17 years and the idea of leaving wood to season for a year plus is a load of dogs round bits. Felled a large green beach last year in july, left in rings outside, split in september, dry as a bone burnt great on my fire. Anyone say otherwise is talking rubbish and has been reading the booklet you get with your new fire

Hard to argue with you mate (although somebody will). I started splitting my timber into billets in april, finished & stacked by july. Cut them into logs from september- early november. sold roughly 80 ton, not one customer has complained of them not being dry. Beech,ash,sycamore,birch. Although it may be a different matter in scotland etc.

The above is what I have found with beech. But split it into logs in Oct and it will struggle to season once the temp drops below 14 deg c