log splitter

rossj

do you really need a splitter???, if your only splitting for home use, organise your time better, get the wood split up over a few summer eve's, enjoy a cold beer once done, decent axe is all you need!!!!

I agree, split it green and you're laughing. get an old tyre on the splitting block as well, stops the logs falling off the block all the time, and absorbs energy if you miss with the axe. Leave the awkward ones for any show off mates you have; it's amazing what the words 'Bet you couldn't split that' can do...

yeah suppose your right i'll get the axe sharpened and show the missus what to do !!:thumbup1:

sharp axe wont always help mate, all depends what wood your using!! decent maul axe will make it easy, as said, make the splitting block work with you, not against you, take some time to get it all set up, right height etc, you will be amazed how much wood you can split in a short space of time

If there's tough bits or big rounds get a few wood grenades (or any other splitting wedge), you knock them in with a sledge hammer

But you need a few incase one gets stuck!

wood grenades or an old saw with a ripping chain??? has any one used both against each other?? i prefer to throw the bits i cant split behind the log pile!!!!!!! out of site out of mind!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh1:

wood grenades or an old saw with a ripping chain??? has any one used both against each other?? i prefer to throw the bits i cant split behind the log pile!!!!!!! out of site out of mind!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh1:

My unsplittables go into the workshop burner pile - it's a barrel burner so can take huge lumps!

I second the vote for a good axe. We're about to get wood fired heating (Rayburn), so getting a splitter so that my wife can help split too. Her coordination (or rather lack of) with an axe is frightening. :001_huh:

My unsplittables go into the workshop burner pile - it's a barrel burner so can take huge lumps!

I second the vote for a good axe. We're about to get wood fired heating (Rayburn), so getting a splitter so that my wife can help split too. Her coordination (or rather lack of) with an axe is frightening. :001_huh:

awww, BIG J, if your wife is bad with an axe then dont let her near a splitter!! ladys with not much 'co-ordination' are best left stacking whilst you split the wood!!!!!!!!!! sorry girls, just my thoughts!!!! safety first an all that!!:001_tt2:

awww, BIG J, if your wife is bad with an axe then dont let her near a splitter!! ladys with not much 'co-ordination' are best left stacking whilst you split the wood!!!!!!!!!! sorry girls, just my thoughts!!!! safety first an all that!!:001_tt2:

Haha! :001_tongue:

You are probably right though - it's just in an effort to share the workload of felling, sawing, splitting and stacking 30 cubic meters of wood in my spare time.