Cord wood NEEDED, Hertfordshire

TreeBoi

Hey,

Hope I've posted this in the right place.

A good friend of mine has a small log business, he usually has plenty of seasoned wood to cater for his customers but this year demand has risen and he needs to buy in a bulk amount of hard wood.

I have no idea who you go to, or what you pay so if ayone could shed any light it would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys

TreeBoi

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops just saw the "Hertfordshire" in the title, my bad

He has never bought in wood before so not sure what amounts people tend to work in. If someone can provide me with a little direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Are their wood suppliers?

Do people tend to deliver?

Do you contact a number of tree surgeons? The Council? Forestry workers?

Thanks guys.

Difficult tho it is, Treeboi's mate doesnt have an idea of how its sold on, that appears to be why he is making enquiries here. Not knowing what facilities he has makes it hard to advise, but you can buy timber in by the cord (a stack 8ft x 4ft x 4ft) or in 3m lengths which is easier for log trucks to deliver in. I would maybe recommend he calls around local tree surgeons to see if they want to sell on their timber, but bear in mind many are now processing firewood themselves as more and more clients are installing wood-burners. Ideally, he should have posed this question after last winter, and started processing timber in preparation for sales this winter, green wood will barely season in time now.

Hi,

What kind of amount is your firend looking to buy? As in how many cubic metres, builders bags, children's prams, beach buckets?

Just called him, He said he's sorted for Prans and Buckets :001_tongue: but can hold between 50 - 100 tonne, just depends on price.

What's the average prices for hard wood per tonne? Ball park figure?

Can anyone suggest any contacts?

TIA

TreeBoi

Seasoned hardwood, loose one cubic metre will weigh approximately 250 kilos. So if your mate is looking to buy 50 tonnes worth of the good stuff you are looking at around 200 cubes of wood. Put those in a standard 40 foot container and you'll need about 4 of those containers and change.

Your mate is looking at some serious volume.