log splitter running o hyraulic power pack

33bk

good evening

as tital nearly states . does anybody run a log splitter off a hyraulic power pack ie a concrete breaker .

if so do they work? are they any good ?

i split at the moment with a axe ! i dont have access to tractor or electrics , so any ideas to save my back ?

ta all bk

sorry for messing up the post was watching inbetweeners !

Edited by 33bk
was watching the inbetweeners

It depends on the hyraulic power packs drain volume and air space above maximum oil level,

They mostly run things that have very little drain, like motors etc which just constantly circulate a fixed volume, rams cause lots of drain if they are single acting with a spring return and less so if they are double acting given that either side of the ram piston is different volumes at max/min extension.

As B101 says watch out for the oil reservoir capacity.

There are machines out there with power and pump built in. The advantage is that the power, pump and ram are (Hopefully) matched.

The last thing you want is to connect a power pack to a ram that’s too big. Big ram and small pump equals slow production.

Do you have a chipper? There is an engine and pump inside (nearly all) chippers and it’s a simple thing to make a chipper pump run a splitter. It will put more hours on your chipper but it’s an option to consider.

Andy

AHH thanks for replys , i have a concrete breaker which has 2 spools and a pressue of 3000psi ,so was wonderering if i could make one save buying a tracor or petrol log splitter as i have half of it already , was something kicking out 3000psi work ?