Scots Pine for firewood

Fentiger

What I`ve been offered is well seasoned, so I`ll get loads more volume per tonne. Sounds like it`ll be a goer then!

get it in,logged and stored early otherwise it can rot quick! i just bought a large amount at a reasonable price and will feel better when its in the barn before september cos it really don't like wet weather,bit like poplar

• 4 years later...

Hi, I'm new so please forgive me any mistakes.

I am resurrecting this old thread to ask about European Redwood (apparently AKA Scots Pine).

I am soon having a wood burning stove fitted, and a friend is able to supply a very large supply of timber off cuts, as she works in an education centre where they use this wood. My impression from here is that it burns well, if quickly. I have split it in to kindling and it is all very dry, as you'd expect.

But I am concerned that it will cause problems with my lined chimney. I am not keen to screw up my newly lined chimney by burning wood that will tar up my chimney. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks!

James

Chimney problems are usually caused by A, Burning wood which is to wet, the temperatures do not get high enough to combust the creosote gases given off, that then condenses in the chimney and lines it with tar which is the main cause of chimney fires.

B, Running the stove shut down for long periods when burning wood, again the temperateure does not get hot enough to combust the creosote gases. If you want to slumber a stove then use smokeless coal ( anthracite).

I am burning Pine at home at present, it does burn hot and fiercely, as such you can get deposits on the glass if the logs are close to it. These just wipe off next morning when the stove is cool.

A