Axe Or Maul

stoker-steam

You experienced chaps might think this a daft question, but here goes.

What would you recommend for splitting firewood for the small production home user, an axe or a splitting maul?

The reason I ask is that I use an Ex Royal Navy firemans axe

(Liberated off HMS Eagle just before she went to razor blades)

to split my wood, often I get lumps of wood flying through the air, as you know firemans axes have a gentle taper. If I were to use a maul I think the wood would fly violently in all directions due to the wedge shape of the maul,

would this happen?

Cheers :001_tongue:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you've used a maul for splitting anything you wonder why you ever used an axe! You'll know yourself what it's like freeing an axe from wood; with a maul all you do is give the end of the handle a bang with your hand.

I would now never split with a felling axe or similar.

I used to split al my wood by axe untill I got the splitter, I had an axe and a maul. I used the axe over the maul every time, it just worked so much better, It was a large headed axe and was as heavy as the maul, I found the head lying around somwhere and put a new helve on it, I also kept it sharp, When it stuck I'd just tap the helve downwards and it would come out. I think with a good technique an axe is better.

Maybe I had a crap maul and a really good axe? who knows.

I agree with Tom - a good axe is always better, but when the going gets tough (and I like to think my technique is o.k. :blushing: ) I reach for the maul.

It also depends on where you split - in your (small) backyard then expect chips and splinters to fly all round with the maul! I always buy decent mauls with hickory handles, never had a problem, although I know one old geezer who used a plastic/fibreglassed handled one and almost wrecked himself with the vibrations......they were'nt good ......:lol: