B&Q logs

davetaz

In the above mentioned store today and noticed plastic bags of "premium kiln-dried hardwood logs.........kiln dried to an average of 20% moisture content"

I'm getting close to that air drying my logs, not a very good kiln if they are only getting down to 20%, what does any one else think?

Maybe they think that they can get away with charging £5.99 a bag if it says "kiln dried" on the bag

Would like to see a net of my logs next to theirs and see which sells first!

"Air dried logs ....... 20% mc £3.50 a bag" ,Might have to get some labels made up

b&q logs where prob kiln dried last year... sat around in a warehouse for 6-12 months..

will prob have the same mc as most other logs by now?

You're right log supplier. Wood if kiln dried, will always re-absorb moisture till it gets to the ambient MC of the atmosphere. In many parts of the UK this is around 20%.This obviously varies depending on where you are - if you're near the coast for example, the air is going to be damper.

However kiln drying is a good way of speeding up the drying process but only to a point.

If you keep your kiln dried wood inside it will probably stay below 20% if your house is warm and fairly dry(!) but there's no point in kiln drying 50 cubic metres of oak or whatever to 10% and storing it outside in an open store...

You an kiln dry wood to whatever you like - I suppose if wood has been in a kiln environment for 2 days you could then say it was 'kiln dried'... you're just not saying what it has been kiln dried to....

I bet those logs aren't all 20% anyway - I saw some in B&Q the other day and the logs felt fresh and didn't have any cracks or splits associated with age.... :001_huh:

Spotted this link on Ebay

SEASONED FIREWOOD / LOGS WOOD BURNER STOVE CHEAP on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 21:07:45 GMT)

One of the comments from the ad is this -

"The moisture content has been tested and is between 9%-12%."

Does he need a new moisture meter or is Billericay like the Sahara at this time of year?

5 logs per bag?? and £1.80 per mile delivery???? me thinks he'll make a fortune on delivery alone:001_tt2:

whats the delivery vehical? v6 supercharged tranny:001_smile: