Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Firewood forum Discuss Firewood production, storage and marketing


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013
 
Woodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 4,125
Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

As above

About to get a small retort made up but just thought I would ask you knowledgable folk before spending hard earned cash on my experimental design.
Woodworks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013, 2015
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pembrokeshire
Posts: 2,936
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Exeter make a smaller retort and I think it's around the £3.5k mark.
I'm also waiting for a quote for a smaller retort from Pressvess but got no info on that yet.

I'm surprised there aren't more people making them.... I mean a proper retort, not an oil drum conversion!

Whatever, it would be good to hear how you get on.....
cheers, Steve
SteveA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013
 
Woodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 4,125
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Thanks Steve. Didn't know either of them made a smaller model. Nothing on their sites so will give them call. Have you seen either?
Woodworks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013, 2015
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pembrokeshire
Posts: 2,936
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworks View Post
Thanks Steve. Didn't know either of them made a smaller model. Nothing on their sites so will give them call. Have you seen either?
I've not seen either.
Received this from Robin back in March 2016.... I've not followed up for more info.
Shame they don't make a smaller/ cheaper version of the horizontal Exeter retort as loading/ unloading would be much easier.
The standard (large) Exeter retort is about £13k without the trailer.... the trailer would be an extra £few k's

"Hello Steve,

We can also offer a smaller vertical machine that will produce 25-30kg
per day. It is made of stainless steel and the current retail price is
£2500 plus VAT. This retort may be more in keeping with your
requirements.

Demonstrations for this machine can only be carried out at Exeter.

I shall send further details as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Robin"
SteveA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013, 2015
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pembrokeshire
Posts: 2,936
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

....and although I've not seen pics of their smaller vertical Exeter retort, it sounds similar to the Hookway retort, which, from what I've read on Facebook is about £3k to £3.5k +vat
cheers, steve
SteveA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013
 
Woodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 4,125
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I've not seen either.
Received this from Robin back in March 2016.... I've not followed up for more info.
Shame they don't make a smaller/ cheaper version of the horizontal Exeter retort as loading/ unloading would be much easier.
The standard (large) Exeter retort is about £13k without the trailer.... the trailer would be an extra £few k's

"Hello Steve,

We can also offer a smaller vertical machine that will produce 25-30kg
per day. It is made of stainless steel and the current retail price is
£2500 plus VAT. This retort may be more in keeping with your
requirements.

Demonstrations for this machine can only be carried out at Exeter.

I shall send further details as soon as possible.

Best wishes,
Robin"
Thanks again Steve

Looks like I better crack on with my prototype!

If all works as hoped it would produce 100 kg a day and cost less than a 1k. Not neat and slick like the Exeter but hopefully cheap and productive if your prepared to be hands on.
Woodworks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013
 
Woodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 4,125
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
....and although I've not seen pics of their smaller vertical Exeter retort, it sounds similar to the Hookway retort, which, from what I've read on Facebook is about £3k to £3.5k +vat
cheers, steve
Ah I think I may have seen it at the APF. There was a guy near the Exeter boys with a small stainless retort but didn't realise they were working together.
Woodworks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013, 2015
 
SteveA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pembrokeshire
Posts: 2,936
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworks View Post
Thanks again Steve

Looks like I better crack on with my prototype!

If all works as hoped it would produce 100 kg a day and cost less than a 1k. Not neat and slick like the Exeter but hopefully cheap and productive if your prepared to be hands on.
Sounds like the best plan by far. Trouble with the limited number of retorts available on the market is that they are so hideously expensive, and as much as I've thought about it, I can't bring myself to going down the traditional ring kiln avenue..... would rather cut stuff up and leave it for habitat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworks View Post
Ah I think I may have seen it at the APF. There was a guy near the Exeter boys with a small stainless retort but didn't realise they were working together.
Maybe, or they may be manufacturing retorts independently of each other???
cheers, steve

Last edited by SteveA; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:45 PM..
SteveA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
 
Marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North West
Posts: 1,071
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

We seem to concur that it is hard to see where the prices charged for small retorts comes from. Has anyone successfully built a decent one? If so was there a significant cost saving or are the prices justified?

How many burns would you get out of a retort before it would need replacing? Is there a business case at all (even break even)?

The thoughts of anyone who has given it a go would be very much appreciated.
__________________
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Marko is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013
 
Woodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Devon
Posts: 4,125
Re: Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post

How many burns would you get out of a retort before it would need replacing? Is there a business case at all (even break even)?

The thoughts of anyone who has given it a go would be very much appreciated.
Not tried any of the small ones but the one next to the Exeter boys was not large and suspect the charge chamber would be similar to regular barrel size. From my current retort which uses barrels I get around 14kg a burn per barrel. Say you manage to get £2 a kg thats 125 burns to cover a 3.5k retort! Just speculation though
Woodworks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a market for a small, cheap charcoal retort? Woodworks General chat 13 10-07-16 08:10 AM
Small logs for small wood burners. cessna Firewood forum 34 29-10-15 09:38 PM
Mobile Retorts TGB Large equipment 150 30-07-15 02:17 PM
charcoal greenman shredding General chat 0 22-11-12 06:22 PM
Small scale charcoal briquette machine Ty Unnos Firewood forum 3 13-05-12 10:15 PM


Find tree care advice

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0