Any new small charcoal retorts out there?

Woodworks

Exeter make a smaller retort and I think it's around the £3.5k mark.

I'm also waiting for a quote for a smaller retort from Pressvess but got no info on that yet.

I'm surprised there aren't more people making them.... I mean a proper retort, not an oil drum conversion!

Whatever, it would be good to hear how you get on.....

cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve. Didn't know either of them made a smaller model. Nothing on their sites so will give them call. Have you seen either?

I've not seen either.

Received this from Robin back in March 2016.... I've not followed up for more info.

Shame they don't make a smaller/ cheaper version of the horizontal Exeter retort as loading/ unloading would be much easier.

The standard (large) Exeter retort is about £13k without the trailer.... the trailer would be an extra £few k's

"Hello Steve,

We can also offer a smaller vertical machine that will produce 25-30kg

per day. It is made of stainless steel and the current retail price is

£2500 plus VAT. This retort may be more in keeping with your

requirements.

Demonstrations for this machine can only be carried out at Exeter.

I shall send further details as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Robin"

I've not seen either.

Received this from Robin back in March 2016.... I've not followed up for more info.

Shame they don't make a smaller/ cheaper version of the horizontal Exeter retort as loading/ unloading would be much easier.

The standard (large) Exeter retort is about £13k without the trailer.... the trailer would be an extra £few k's

"Hello Steve,

We can also offer a smaller vertical machine that will produce 25-30kg

per day. It is made of stainless steel and the current retail price is

£2500 plus VAT. This retort may be more in keeping with your

requirements.

Demonstrations for this machine can only be carried out at Exeter.

I shall send further details as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Robin"

Thanks again Steve

Looks like I better crack on with my prototype!

If all works as hoped it would produce 100 kg a day and cost less than a 1k. Not neat and slick like the Exeter but hopefully cheap and productive if your prepared to be hands on.

....and although I've not seen pics of their smaller vertical Exeter retort, it sounds similar to the Hookway retort, which, from what I've read on Facebook is about £3k to £3.5k +vat

cheers, steve

Ah I think I may have seen it at the APF. There was a guy near the Exeter boys with a small stainless retort but didn't realise they were working together.

Thanks again Steve

Looks like I better crack on with my prototype!

If all works as hoped it would produce 100 kg a day and cost less than a 1k. Not neat and slick like the Exeter but hopefully cheap and productive if your prepared to be hands on.

:thumbup: Sounds like the best plan by far. Trouble with the limited number of retorts available on the market is that they are so hideously expensive, and as much as I've thought about it, I can't bring myself to going down the traditional ring kiln avenue..... would rather cut stuff up and leave it for habitat.

Ah I think I may have seen it at the APF. There was a guy near the Exeter boys with a small stainless retort but didn't realise they were working together.

Maybe, or they may be manufacturing retorts independently of each other???

cheers, steve

Edited by SteveA

We seem to concur that it is hard to see where the prices charged for small retorts comes from. Has anyone successfully built a decent one? If so was there a significant cost saving or are the prices justified?

How many burns would you get out of a retort before it would need replacing? Is there a business case at all (even break even)?

The thoughts of anyone who has given it a go would be very much appreciated.

How many burns would you get out of a retort before it would need replacing? Is there a business case at all (even break even)?

The thoughts of anyone who has given it a go would be very much appreciated.

Not tried any of the small ones but the one next to the Exeter boys was not large and suspect the charge chamber would be similar to regular barrel size. From my current retort which uses barrels I get around 14kg a burn per barrel. Say you manage to get £2 a kg thats 125 burns to cover a 3.5k retort! Just speculation though