Calorific value of species of softwoods compared to Ash?

cessna

I am wanting to know the calorific values of different species of softwood , to compare the difference with Ash. Can any of you suggest where I can find that information.

Put another way which species of softwood have the best calorific value for burning in wood burners.

Do Scandinavian countries burn a lot of "WELL SEASONED" soft wood in their wood burning stoves?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all wood , soft or otherwise has a similar calorific value per weight . E.G 1kg of hawthorn will have a similar value as 1kg of larch its just you need more larch logs to make up that 1kg .

I think all wood , soft or otherwise has a similar calorific value per weight . E.G 1kg of hawthorn will have a similar value as 1kg of larch its just you need more larch logs to make up that 1kg .

That's what I thought to and I think larch is one of the best value softwoods.

That's what I thought to and I think larch is one of the best value softwoods.

Wood is a mixture of cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin, lignin is phenolic, i.e. the carbon has formed itself into rings rather than the chainlike bonds of cellulose and hemicellulose. These phenolic rings contain more energy.

Softwoods have more lignin than hardwoods so have more energy and I would think the browner heartwood of larch, and others like douglas would be the highest cv.

Is no one reading the table posted buy sbck :confused1: Seems sound only surprise to me is that beech is not up there with the other hardwoods.

Read it now and was much as expected, the spruce being the lowest of the softwoods goes with it having a white heart.

It proves for all practical purposes there's little in it and moisture content is the dominant factor when buying by weight.

One of the photos is an oldie, it looks like it was our original import of envirofire pellet stoves running in our unit.

Is no one reading the table posted buy sbck :confused1: Seems sound only surprise to me is that beech is not up there with the other hardwoods.

it doesn't mean it's not up there beau, they just didn't include it.

there are so many other hardwood species from all over the world that are not included in lists like these.

don't other countries have these sorts of lists? and if they do where can i find them?

i'd be interested to know calorie contents for african and south american species myself...