Processing with a chainsaw

TheHungrySquirrel

I do a few tons a year for my own use. I use a saw horse - if small rounds then fill it up and chop to length; if big logs then one or two at a time followed by a session with the X27.

Having said that, my system doesn't seem very efficient (possibly because I also move logs from store to store), so will watch this thread.

I would have thought it depends on what size you are cutting and how you stack.

I too cut wood for my own use. The bigger wood I cut on the ground, but for the smaller diameter I can lift, I have made a log holder that hangs off the side of my trailer. I'm not sure if it's any quicker, but it's certainly easier and safer.

I do 6 tons or so for myself each year.

Most of it is arb waste so its knarly, bent and all sorts of length. I made a work table with a steel frame and scaffold boards on top with a stop along one long side. I ring up the waste into regular rings and the trimmings get burned on the stove first. The rings are split on a pto-driven splitter into good, regular logs. These go into my log store (only pretty wood goes in there, it's on show in the front garden).

The longer or thinner lengths go into a sawhorse similar to Roughneck Loggers Mate 24cm Log Capacity Log Saw Horse | Log Sawhorses | Screwfix.com but home made to suit my height.

I much prefer to work at a comfortable height rather than bending over and reaching across a log pile.

This all works well for me; minimal handling and comfortable working height is the answer

I welded up sort of saw horse, althou its sort of back to front.

I have it designed so there is only a small/narrow section in middle supporting the logs with big wide feet to keep it stable.

I can pile a big load of logs on it mibbe 1/4T or more on it at once, a good few quad trailer loads, i then strap it in middle to keep it secure and just start logging from either side.

I have my horse thing set up on top of a banking so any stuff needing split tends to roll down it and a roughly made race to my splitting area which is about waist hieght. I hate bending over to pick the logs up.

Needs a bit of fine tuning but it does work quite well really

I use a rack system on a pallet for processing. This is moved about the woods, yard gathering timber on a set of 3 point pallet toes. Note that when I'm unloading the bottom sections of the rack I can raise the system to eliminate alot of the bending/twisting. [ame]

[/ame]

Sawn logs from pile split straight into IBC's for seasoning [ame]

[/ame]

(Don't waste your lives watching 10 mins of these vid's, you'll get the idea in a few seconds of each).

Wood handled 3 times to seasoning stage. As efficient as it comes without spending mega bucks.

• 1 month later...