BSL Fees. How does it affect you?

MonsterMonster

Now that 2017 is here the Biomass Suppliers List (BSL) is now charging (or mugging) members for its services via annual member ship fee (£25 to £295), per application fee (£120 to £450) and sales tonnage fees (rumoured 9p / tonne).

Personally, I do not see any log producers staying on the BSL leaving only self suppliers and large chip/pellet manufacturers. I have no choice to stay on it as I produce\trade for just me and the application fee is a killer unless I can consistently source the same raw material from the same supplier without increasing supply distance by more than 10%.

So, how is it affecting you if you've been on the BSL?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's extremely irritating that they can change the terms without you being able to do much about it. Unfortunately we have no choice but to stay on since we supply ourselves and 2 of our bigger customers but instead of selling everything as BSL we'll just do the bare minimum and carry on as before.

It's extremely irritating that they can change the terms without you being able to do much about it. Unfortunately we have no choice but to stay on since we supply ourselves and 2 of our bigger customers but instead of selling everything as BSL we'll just do the bare minimum and carry on as before.

Irritating is an understatement. It makes me feel that more obstacles are deliberately being put in place to discourage end users being on the RHI scheme. If it wasn't for the outstanding cost of the installation I'd happily kick it all into touch and go back to oil. I know one person has done this already!

Irritating is an understatement. It makes me feel that more obstacles are deliberately being put in place to discourage end users being on the RHI scheme. If it wasn't for the outstanding cost of the installation I'd happily kick it all into touch and go back to oil. I know one person has done this already!

Yes it's a very clever way of them basically changing the RHI scheme by regulating the fuel. To be honest we sell enough to spread the cost of membership but the paper work in addition is getting ridiculous now.

Same here, as I am my own biggest customer, from today all invoices will be sent without BSL numbers and only given if asked for, which will incur a small "administration charge "

Just a thought on the tonnage charge,

As most of my customers are trade, I would be charged 9p per ton,

Then if they are also registered as a trader, would they also be charged another 9p for the same timber??

Just a thought

I think you are right. Come to think of it the same could happen with the application fee.

Sent from my Alba 10" using Tapatalk

I have never been able to understand the purpose of the BSL - I once thought it was a form of kite mark for producers of quality RHI compliant and traceable supply. I made the mistake of registering as a Producer (which I am) but not a Trader (which I intended to be) and have spent the last two years wondering why I have not had a single enquiry.

I have also owned and operated a log boiler for 12 years (pre RHI unfortunately) but £25 per year with no tonnage charge is cheap for them as self supply. is it a problem for kiln owners - I would not have thought so even with the tonnage charge.