Oversized arb hardwood

swinny

If you could get it a consistent 2.5-3m and reasonably straight it's worth something. Probably about £30 a ton to us roadside.

I would run it through a big splitter 4 or 8 ways then it's worth almost the same as normal processor wood (assuming it's straight enough).

Some of its down to 1-1.5m at 3-4' etc, whatever hiab can lift over object or what the job entails

This stick of oak is 2.5-2.8m 36"-28" and been offered 30.00 for it? Dont know how to value stuff, but it aint worth going to the yard to pick out one log.

I know oversize is a pita and most folk keep clear as time consuming so prices are lower

IMG_3759.jpg.1a10941c87222fe7e1255343a58f135d.jpg

That first piece of oak is going to be just over 35 Hoppus and looks to be a nice clean stick. It's a slightly odd length but I would say at least £120 which would allow for the buyer to actually want 8'. £30 is just silly.

Is that second piece ash? If so, there may be some damage running in from the dead limb to the left but if it doesn't run in too far then there are some nice boards to be had run straight across the middle of that crotch, as table top slabs. Not such a high value as it's smaller, ash is less desirable as it can't be used externally and there is a risk as to where that rot runs to but still good for £80 or so I would have thought if someone wants it.

What else do you have and whereabouts in the country are you? If you are close enough for me to get it then I am currently on the lookout for some nice straight, clean sycamore at around 30", any field maple, sugar maple and any of the plum species (damson, sloe or garden/orchard grown trees etc).

Alec

The oak looks fine to me. It's a bit short I know, but would be fine for posts, gates etc.

I'm always looking for milling timber but the problem with arb waste is that it's too heavy for most firms to lift in one piece so it gets ringed up.

I was offered a nice piece of beech the other day, over 1.2m dia, had a chat with the boss on the job, said 6' lengths, no problem. When I got there to collect them, they had been ringed up into 2' rings, so only good for firewood now. He said it was too heavy for his gear. Alas, I find this is often the case.

Edited by Ilnumero