Tajfun Processor Hydraulic Drive Conversion

LGP Eddie

I just wanted to share thoughts on a solution I came up with for a good friend who runs a Tajfun processor, having been asked my thoughts on how to improve his setup?

Basically a not unfamiliar scene with a processor mounted behind a fordson major up on a few blocks to get the pto shaft better in line, out in an open yard surrounded by the usual sawdust bark and offcuts, impossible to clean up properly on the hardcore surface.

I'd just sold him my Ford 5610 with loader to replace the Major, and I said such a shame to tie it up there for the rest of it's days, as it was a real handy tractor.

He asked how it could be down differently, and with a bit of thought I came up with a solution that really has transformed things for him.

Basically taking a 40ft container on a level hardstanding as the starting point, a 6" thick concrete pad was poured along the side approx 4 metres wide, and a lean to constructed falling back onto the container roof with rsj frame, timber purling and box profile sheets. Nothing fancy and all reclaimed stuff that came out tidy.

The container is utilised for other storage anyway so basically a nice back wall for free to build against and affords much shelter.

Then for the trick bit, to bring the Tajfun processor inside the lean to, and virtually up to the container wall we needed rid of the tractor?

The solution came in the form of a hydraulic motor from Kilworth themselves that slips over the pto splines of then processor, and a suitable mount was made that simply fits onto the existing 3 point linkage mounts of the processor, keeping the motor supported and everything in line.

You've probably guessed the rest if you've followed this so far, but yes a large hydraulic tank, return filter, spool block etc was the mounted to the steel side of the container at one end, and a pto driven slip on pump again from Kilworth fitted to the tractor.

With everything piped up, and steel pipe used for the long runs along the container side to again dissipate heat, the Tajfun is now fully hydraulic powered with extra spools to run the hydraulic sawdust fan etc.

I haven't been involved in the actual build, just chipping in here and there with ideas, and a couple of local hydraulic experts have done the business, with off the shelf components for the main bits.

As for the outcome, it's totally transformed the job! A tidy workplace, he even installed an airline setup now having been inspired by how clean the job can be. The Tractor can be utilised for other applications, then simply driven up and the pump attached.

There is loads of hydraulic power for the sawdust fan now, without heating the tractor oil, and the tractor is running the pto pump at approx 1900 revs for now, whilst the cheat pto shaft arrives to trick the Ford in 1000 speed to run at around 1100 engine revs to give 540 at the shaft.

Going forward he is talking about a big splitter project, and the thought is for a 3 point linkage mounted hydraulic tank and pto pump setup, that can remain on the tractor and drive between the two setups before being coupled via some large quick release couplings.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, ending up with what is just a very mobile hydraulic power pack when he wants it.

I'll try and get some pictures, but it's not my yard and setup, however if anyone has anything specific then just DM me and I'll do my best to answer it.

Eddie.

This is the PTO shaft I was trying to describe for those who don't know how the older fords worked.

Basically to convert from 540 to 1000 pto you would park the tractor on a slope to prevent oil running out the back, remove a circlip and pull out the pto shaft.

Fit the 1000 shaft with the different spline and good to go.

This simply replicates the 1000 speed shaft but still with 540 splines

ford tractor 540 eco pto shaft - SAVE FUEL - | eBay

If it inspires anyone to have second look at their setup it's all good. Certainly tidied up my mates setup and hopefully will be much safer and productive.

I'll try for some pictures and Andy at Kilworth was brilliant in assisting with this.

A little laugh was he actually scrapped a perfectly good 6 cylinder Ford Cargo Concrete Mini Mix truck the week before, which if you think about is is about the biggest cheapest hydraulic power pack you could lay your hands on!:001_rolleyes:

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie