Balfor or Thor splitter

jeanesy

I've had a little look at old posts about the above splitters. I was just wondering if anyone had any more thoughts or experiences on the brands? I'm after a petrol log splitter that is able to be moved around the yard and put on a trailer. I was looking at the balfor a12 vario and Thor mignon 11ton. But then I saw the Thor magik 13 ton and balfor pro (I think) 13ton models and they look pretty meaty and capable. It'll be splitting Arb waste of varying size and species. Any other recommendations? Cheers.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the market for exactly what you are after so went to the apf show and tried all the offerings they had at the show. I came away with an oxdale, think it's an se400. Solidly built, simple and quick. The ram doesn't go back to a preset point, it stops wherever you want it to stop which I like. First thing I did was mod it to be operated 1 handed which is so much better if your not a clumsy fool. I would recommend it. Cheaper than a lot of others too at around 1500ish

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

Yeah I phoned fuelwood I think they said around 4K for that towable one. I was going to go down the towable route but I figure a smaller one could potentially get more places, e.g. People's back gardens etc if needed.

Riko do a couple of machines that might fit the bill. This is one of them https://www.riko-uk.com/product/72/435. Not seen one myself but Riko are not known for selling trash.

I have a thor magik 13 petrol model and really rate it. I've never found a 50cm length it couldn't handle and can deal with pretty chunky 100 cm lengths as well.

Edit - the only thing I'd say is don't bother with the 4 way blade. It's quicker and easier to just split it twice in my experience. A custom height table is a real benefit though. I have one made from an old rsj than has a 30cm gap. This makes for speedy processing.

Edited by richy_B

I looked at the oxdale but I didn't think it seemed as meaty as the others. The knife also seemed quite small, what is the cycle time like? Price is way better though!

The knife is quite small but it does the job very well. I would wager it will put up with more abuse than most as it is so simple and strong, no bendable holding arms etc. And a honda engine. It goes through all our arb waste no bother. I can't put a figure on the cycle time but it is pretty quick. Definitely up there with the thor etc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I looked at the Oxdale and also a Riko. Neither trailer based. The Riko looked so much better built and I ordered one there and then. The order was placed two days before Christmas last year, so wasn't expecting it to be delivered till at least the middle of Jan. The day after boxing day a knock on the door and a 12 ton vertical splitter was mine. It has never failed to go through anything I have thrown at it. It is not used in anyway connected with a business, only my home use and I don't need to turn any odd shaped lumps away now that I couldn't get my axe or grenade through before. They were more than happy to demonstrate any unit they had in the yard and were more than happy to answer all my stupid questions. I am more than happy to use them again if the need ever arose. My votes with Riko !!!