Oversized timber processing

numbercruncher

Hi

bought about 10ton oversized timber from someone on arbtalk who needed to clear their yard so was selling it cheap(ish)......

long story short, massively over-estimated my ability to process this into firewood so need someone to come in and process it for me

largest pieces are about 30-40 inch diameter and 2-3 meter long........does anyone have the equipment & capacity to do this for me in the next few weeks?

i'm based in central Wakefield and can supply 3 people to help if needed

ta

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you need a mid sized excavator with a screw splitter or a big horizontal PTO splitter.

I saw our over size down to 1m lengths to quarter with our 22ton horizontal and then put through the Tajfun 400. Its a slow job and it makes more economical sense to pay £10 a ton more for timber that all fits through the processor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the type of wood and how many knots a fit guy should be able to split the pieces down with a few wedges and a sledge hammer. Have a saw handy if the wood tears around any knots. This is the way lots of timber was split for gate posts or rails for fencing.

And you will be even fitter or dead at the end.

Thanks for the suggestions but I bought this to try and stockpile a couple of years supply purely for own use.

I'm not in the firewood game so don't have the time, equipment or experience to process this size timber.

Past couple of years I had been able to get ringed timber from a local tree surgeon that I then split with an axe but this timber is way out of my league hence the need for a professional.

I'd be interested in buying a further 10 -15 ton preferably softwood cord and having the whole lot processed together.

I'm not in a rush to get this done, it can wait until next year but if anyone is working locally and suddenly finds they have a day to spare I'm sure we could come to some arrangement

Ta

I have a horizontal 2/4 way splitter that will take a 2.8m length, will happily take 30" rounds (possibly larger depending on how straight and what wood type) I use this running from a loader and have a separate mini loader to load and stack timber.

Apart from the loader powering it I can trailer the splitter & mini loader

While i couldn't do it in the near future I could sort time in spring..

I am looking at a small machine for powering the splitter which would trailer also and be all sorted within a few months.

If you can't find anyone feel free to pm me and we can keep in touch

Many thanks Adam.