cord to loose again!

tomm156

first of all sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched for ages but cant seem to find what I am looking for

me and two others are going to buy an 8 wheeler of ash and beach, im told this is 18m3, im trying to work out if this is a viable option or if its best just to keep buying it split already. from 18m3 of cord what would I expect to get when loose stacked in the shed.

thanks all

Tom

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all sorry if this has been asked before, I have searched for ages but cant seem to find what I am looking for

me and two others are going to buy an 8 wheeler of ash and beach, im told this is 18m3, im trying to work out if this is a viable option or if its best just to keep buying it split already. from 18m3 of cord what would I expect to get when loose stacked in the shed.

thanks all

Tom

Beech is pretty close to a tonne per m3 of cord and I work on 2m3 of loose logs per tonne so nor far of 36 m3 of logs from you 18m3 load.

Have a look at the "Wood Fuels Handbook" http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4441e.pdf

It has some interesting conversion factors along with mass densities at various moisture contents. If I understand it correctly a neat stack of roundwood logs with bark, will comprise 30% airspace.

Edited by MonsterMonster
Clarity

As per my post on another firewood thread; you must mean from a seasoned tonne? Not green!

Nope. Have weighed IBC crates of fresh cut logs and they are sub 500 kg.

The scales read 506 kg including the crate and block of wood and this is last winters beech cut in the spring. So not as heavy as it can be but nothing like seasoned.

IMG_20160805_113541.jpg.652ab07714f314c1f9589eafbb12634a.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

We talking cross purposes here? When buying a lorry load I presume the OP means a solid cube as used by the sellers but a stacked cube of cord is another matter.

Doesn't matter; you said you get 2m3 loose out of a tonne. I know I can only get 1.3-1.5m3 loose from a tonne. If I was getting 18m3 wood from the OPs lorry, I'd be expecting to produce 27 loose cubic metre loads at best.

The 1 tonne/m3 = 2 loose cuM has never manifested ime. Shame!

Doesn't matter; you said you get 2m3 loose out of a tonne. I know I can only get 1.3-1.5m3 loose from a tonne. If I was getting 18m3 wood from the OPs lorry, I'd be expecting to produce 27 loose cubic metre loads at best.

The 1 tonne/m3 = 2 loose cuM has never manifested ime. Shame!

Yep I do get 2 cube to a tonne :confused1:

Mind you depends who the delivery driver is :lol:

Edited by Woodworks