How much for Scots pine?

MonsterMonster

A next door farmer friend felled (with licence) some Scots pine about 5 years ago and had it stacked up in 5m lengths in the open for milling but it never found a buyer. Anyhow, he agreed for me to process it for my firewood and make him an offer when I know how much split wood it produces as neither of us knows what this stuff is worth. I got 38 logs of various diameter up to 50cm and processed it to split 45cm lengths making 18 cubes stacked or about 30 cubes loose. I estimate it at about 5.5 tonnes.

The smaller stuff was a nice 20% m/c with larger stuff still at 40% at the heart. Some outside rot but mostly OK.

I want to offer him a fair price bearing in mind I used his tractor for my PTO Hycrack. The last Roadside softwood prices I saw were about £35-£40/tonne.

Do you reckon £250 is fair? The wood is for myself so not selling on.

Ta

Sent from my Alba 10" using Tapatalk

30 loose m3 out of 5.5 tonne of round timber.

Is that right?

The 5.5 tonnes is an estimate and bearing in mind that my logs are stacked straight from splitting and the only time they're loose is when going from stack to boiler in a wheel barrow.

I was sad enough to measure each of the 38 logs and work out the volume using a formula for logs of different end diameters and got 12 cubes. Most of the wood is fairly dry so I used the factor of 462kg per solid cube at 20% m/c making 12.04 tonnes. This has processed to a stacked 18 cubes verified. Using a stack-to-loose factor of 1.66 makes 29.99 cubes.

Bearing in mind that my logs are cut to 45cm and the tonnage is estimated by way of m/c I think that 30 cubes could be +/- 10% at a guess.

What would you expect from 5.5 tonnes out of interest?

Sent from my Alba 10" using Tapatalk

Forget all about weight - 5.5m3 = 10m3 approx. 200mm Firewood.

Partly decayed Scots! , so value no more than £125 if you have to handle, process and then transport yourself.

It sounds like more than 5 tons but it's hard to tell. 5 tons would only be about 10cube. Can you just offer him £20 a cube as firewood?