Any interesting new processors out there?

Woodworks

Had a look around the APF and I am always struck buy massive processors making massive logs that I could not sell without re-splitting them down to a reasonable size. The worst was the Cordking making logs only suitable for biomass boilers. I guess people buy these machines so is there demand for massive logs?

The nicest logs IMO came from machines were rings get fed in on a slow conveyor and an X shaped blade makes multiple cuts to get 4" square logs from larger sections like these

Posch K-600 | Jas P Wilson

Splitta 400 | Automatic High Production Logs and Kindling

Machine

Think Growi had one as well but did not get a close look.

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right! But with the Posch k-600 being close to £100k I believe you've got to have a lot of perfectly size timber for that machine to make it pay. Can you imagine putting 10" stuff through it all day! [emoji30] if you had one of those machines you would have to have a 360 or similar to go with it. I probably have less than 5% of stuff in my 1500 odd ton a year that would be usable size for these machines.

Your right! But with the Posch k-600 being close to £100k I believe you've got to have a lot of perfectly size timber for that machine to make it pay. Can you imagine putting 10" stuff through it all day! [emoji30] if you had one of those machines you would have to have a 360 or similar to go with it. I probably have less than 5% of stuff in my 1500 odd ton a year that would be usable size for these machines.

£100K! That's a lot of staff with a chainsaw and axe :lol:

Was not seriously looking as we are way to small a set up but as you say would have to have huge turnover to justify that kind of money.

I think it depends, a few years back I used to use the smaller version of the 400 the splitta 360, awesome machine, produced nice regular logs I set it to produce about house brick size logs, they dried well burned great, then the feed back I was getting was that they liked the bigger bits, so I made them a bit bigger, it's easy to adjust just takes a few seconds, these were quite a lot bigger say 4-6 inch, but then people started asking for smaller bits, mainly as the machine makes such regular sized logs, I still have the 360 and love it I use it a lot, it's a great bit of kit, I also have a processor which takes upto 14 inch and fires it through a 6 way this gives as you say big logs, some do need to be split down but there does seem to be greater variation which strangely seems to receive no comments, and the 6 and 8 inch through 4 way is nice, I can see that people always want what they cannot have, I think the best would be to mix the lot up, difficult for me as I split direct to vented bag.

I also just remembered last year I had a lady who was used to having the bricks from the 360, she was not happy as this new stuff had bark on it, she asked it it was ok and would it burn ! I smiled, and said all my logs are guaranteed to burn or your money back ! she is still a customer

Had a look around the APF and I am always struck buy massive processors making massive logs that I could not sell without re-splitting them down to a reasonable size. The worst was the Cordking making logs only suitable for biomass boilers. I guess people buy these machines so is there demand for massive logs?

The nicest logs IMO came from machines were rings get fed in on a slow conveyor and an X shaped blade makes multiple cuts to get 4" square logs from larger sections like these

Posch K-600 | Jas P Wilson

Splitta 400 | Automatic High Production Logs and Kindling

Machine

Think Growi had one as well but did not get a close look.

I approached the Growi one and very quickly spun around and went in search of something less ridiculous. The X blade in the Growi was about 4ft tall! The feed conveyor had malfunctioned and the staff were frantically delving into the bowels of the beast as it merrily chomped perfectly good logs into pulp.

There were many very cool processors at the APF, but after making a point of watching as many of them in operation as possible I was left thinking that none of them had a significant advantage (for a small enterprise) over a £2000 splitter and circular saw set up.

There was some impressive processors at APF. The big rabaud 600 on the Ryetec stand was good although as said a 16 way splitter just isn't enough and for £70k you would be better off with 2 small ones and some staff.

Hakki pilke have taken a lot of tajfuns ideas with the flaps to hold logs, solid backed splitter and monitoring system but I did really like their auto chain tensioning. Hopefully that catches on.

The posche firewood factory was clever but I think it's too bulky for what it is. The problem is, watching these huge machines, unless you've got huge straight logs the output isn't much higher than a decent convention processor.

In terms of production speed and design the tajfun was still the best there to me.