Kindling Process and best material spec.

Bustergasket

Just got back from the Apf, great show, saw loads of toys and some of the kindle machines, I have a machine already but don't fully utilise it as I don't have a good supply of timber, do people generally dry in the round ? also what's the best species to make nice clean stuff, Iam thinking cut rounds allow to dry then kindle, can't decide if to go neat or random fill, I find pine or larch goes through cleanly if cut correctly or parralel, also how many 60x 40 nets from an 8 wheeler load as I struggle to get an artic in, any pointers appreciated, cheers

We were there yesterday and had a good day. Process into kindling first and then season in the net, much quicker and far less handling. How much are you selling those size nets for? How many do you produce a year. Some say it is not worth processing your own unless you are doing over 20 000. I buy in the same size as you. Good luck.

Sent from my D2303 using Arbtalk mobile app

Just got back from the Apf, great show, saw loads of toys and some of the kindle machines, I have a machine already but don't fully utilise it as I don't have a good supply of timber, do people generally dry in the round ? also what's the best species to make nice clean stuff, Iam thinking cut rounds allow to dry then kindle, can't decide if to go neat or random fill, I find pine or larch goes through cleanly if cut correctly or parralel, also how many 60x 40 nets from an 8 wheeler load as I struggle to get an artic in, any pointers appreciated, cheers

Poplar

I have tried drying in the nets but find if I stack them up they go mouldy, I don't have masses of undercover space, do you stack them on pallet wet ? I have tried splitting it into vented bulk bags, works well but you have to then rebag into netts which is not viable, what do u cut the rings with and what timber do you find works best, Iam using a splitta which is awesome, I did 1500 in my first year, but Iam getting asked for more, problem is I have not got my process sorted to deal with higher volume, I was thinking cut rings off the processor, dry in boxes then feed through the splitta straight to netts, the 1500 I have done were mainly from arb waste cut with chainsaw ! but I would need decent timber and some boxes all of which is $$$. do you do neat or random and what lengths, all mine is under around 9 but that lends itself to neat, if I was going random prob have to sleeve machine to 6, using bag supplies 6040 nets, price varies wildly and I need to sort that out, I have no inclination to have a big business but I would like to produce enough if I can crack it to keep my other customers happy, the quality is ok it just takes too much time ! I enjoy making stuff so it's not about the money if it was I would prob buy in from elsewhere, what's the going rate for a net wholesale roughly, cheers

cheers, I have got on very well with pop, only slight concern I have is if I was planning on seasoning outside is how much that stuff seems to absorb when it sees the rain, it does dry quick though, thanks for the input, appreciated

For sure drying it outside would be a no no, but split it soon dries in the stick, very presentable and splits for fun.

Buying Pop of the right spec would work out cheaper than buying bar grade softwood .

If you were in a position to forward buy it does dry well in the stack, up off the ground on bearers you wouldn't have a problem with reabsorption. If you could get up to 8-10" td material which is feasible , dry in the stack then process and bag and finish drying in the bag.

thanks, Iam just trying to sort some timber