Efficient wood burning cookers

Paul in the woods

I'm going to install a wood burning cooker in our kitchen and I'm currently looking at what's available. Although I have my own wood I'm after one that's as efficient as possible and one that's well built. I'm currently thinking of one that's just a cooker and not a water heater.

A local stove installers today told me of these people: Wood Fired-Aga range cooker alternative, 3 oven, T3 Patented

Now, I'm not a huge fan of the style but an 85% efficiency sounds pretty good. Cost is a bit eye watering and I'll need a twin wall flu fitted.

Has anyone heard of them? Can anyone recommend anything else that's efficient and reliable I can compare it with?

Thanks

Yome in Devon, might be worth talking to Jim at The Heritage Range Cooker

They are in Liskeard, great company, Jim designed and manufactured his range cooker from concept to delivery, I'm not sure they do their own brand in wood burning variety but he does have wood burning stoves in the store.

Really nice, genuine, knowledgeable chap.

Look no further than Esse,

They have been building wood fired cookers and stoves in the UK since 1854, they lead the world in wood fired cooker design and technology.

Esse was good enough for Scott and Shackleton in Antarctica and Florence Nightingale at Balaclava, if you visit River Cottage near Weymouth their cookers are all Esse including an Ironheart wood fired.

https://esse.com/range-cookers/

You will be able to find you local dealer via their web site above.

A

I've read mixed reviews about the Esse Ironheart. Something to do with cleaning it out and also the quality of the metal.

cheers, steve

Since 2009 I have sold 6 - 10 Ironhearts per year, the next complaint of any sort will be the first.

Ironheart has a flue way around the oven to convect the heat around it, supplied with the cooker are hotplate lifters, these lift the hotplate out to allow access to these flueways. A long handled brush and ash scraper are also included. The clean out door below the over door is removed ( three nuts) to allow soot etc to be removed, the whole process is quick, simple and if the cooker has been used properly clean.

If you burn wet wood in any appliance then you will get tar building up in any flueway attached, this can be a nightmare to clean and can result in a chimney fire in any stove or cooker. Use DRY ( 15% MC or below) wood and burn it hot to avoid this.

If necessary PM me and I will talk you through it. I am not the dealer for Devon and you will need to buy from the one down there if you go that way.

A

I'm quite far from Liskard but I'll keep them in mind if I'm down that way. I'm currently trying to visit various local stove stockists to see what they have and what they think.

On that note the dealer I mentioned earlier didn't like Esse at all and I've also seen mixed reviews. The Ironheart isn't really an option as I expect to spend a fair bit of time cooking on it and I'm not keen on the need for a heat screen.

I'm not keen on the Rayburn 'look' either but I do want to be able to see the flames.

Has anyone here actually got a Lohbrergh stove? They're closer to what I'd like but I'm struggling to find details on their efficiency.

I'm also stuggling to find a way of comparing different stoves as there seems to be various ways to measure their efficiency. :confused1:

We've been cooking on a reyburn for 10 years now, it's been great. With the long fla,e from wood you can get oven and hotplate temperatures in excess of most other ovens. I have had over 300o out of ours, makes great pizza. I can't comment on the others as I haven't used them..

On thing worth mentioning is that the Rayburn stays in overnight no problem, I have heard that some others don't.

Look no further than Esse,

They have been building wood fired cookers and stoves in the UK since 1854, they lead the world in wood fired cooker design and technology.

Esse was good enough for Scott and Shackleton in Antarctica and Florence Nightingale at Balaclava, if you visit River Cottage near Weymouth their cookers are all Esse including an Ironheart wood fired.

https://esse.com/range-cookers/

You will be able to find you local dealer via their web site above.

A

I would personally leave Scott in Antarctica out of your sales pitch mate.

I may be some time, and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk