pto / petrol saw bench

Gmorgan

I've been on the lookout for a saw bench for a while now and I'm stuck between 2 options really,

1- get a petrol powered one rytec, balfour, riko e.t.c,

2- get a pto powered one oxdale, riko or balfour and a tractor to suit,

the trouble I'm having is understanding power, i.e some petrol ones have 6hp engines whereas some have 13 or 15hp.

i don't necasarily need a tractor at the yard as i have just made a towable petrol splitter that i take down there with my truck. however I'm sure a small tractor would become invaluable in time.

would a compact kubota for example say 18hp be enough to lift and power a pto saw bench? based on the petrol saws only needing 6-15hp, or would i need to look for a larger machine such as a david brown? i don't do tons and tons of firewood, but enough to get fed up using a chainsaw all the time!

my thinking is i could always take a compact down the woodland i cut firewood from to help drag wood closer to the tracks? i haven't currently got a trailer licence but I'm seriously considering this as well, maybe giving me the option to take a david brown ( for example) down there instead

your thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

George

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a uniforest last winter and run it off my db990 it rips through timber nice and steady, i don't think id want it on anything smaller, if your buying a tractor to run it make sure its all working and fit for purpose i had to faff about with mine to get the pto running right, most will say the recommended power output of the machine. Much more productive than a chainsaw if you set yourself up right, riko have good deals on every now and then.

I've been on the lookout for a saw bench for a while now and I'm stuck between 2 options really,

1- get a petrol powered one rytec, balfour, riko e.t.c,

2- get a pto powered one oxdale, riko or balfour and a tractor to suit,

the trouble I'm having is understanding power, i.e some petrol ones have 6hp engines whereas some have 13 or 15hp.

i don't necasarily need a tractor at the yard as i have just made a towable petrol splitter that i take down there with my truck. however I'm sure a small tractor would become invaluable in time.

would a compact kubota for example say 18hp be enough to lift and power a pto saw bench? based on the petrol saws only needing 6-15hp, or would i need to look for a larger machine such as a david brown? i don't do tons and tons of firewood, but enough to get fed up using a chainsaw all the time!

my thinking is i could always take a compact down the woodland i cut firewood from to help drag wood closer to the tracks? i haven't currently got a trailer licence but I'm seriously considering this as well, maybe giving me the option to take a david brown ( for example) down there instead

your thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

George

We ran a Hakki Eagle on a 14 hp Kubota for a while. As you might expect it would struggle on a 40cm dia. lump of elm but we put tonnes of mixed hardwood through it up to approx. 30cm.

The Hakki Eagle has to be one of the best vfm small processors available. And you can pick up a compact tractor for sensible money if you keep your eyes open. I would though go for something at 18hp+.

For the time being at least i have no intention on buying a processor, its just the saw bench i need to speed processing logs up.

thinking more for ease of moving said tractor about, maybe a 25hp kubota/iseki or yanmar then?

For the time being at least i have no intention on buying a processor, its just the saw bench i need to speed processing logs up.

thinking more for ease of moving said tractor about, maybe a 25hp kubota/iseki or yanmar then?

Yes, meant to say the Eagle is a good PTO saw with a screw splitter on the side ;)

25hp plenty.

In terms of petrol saw benchs, for a 700mm saw you want to have at least 10hp. Early Hakki Pile Eagles were a available with 5.5hp Honda, which was fine on 100mm logs but very slow on anything bigger. Larges fitted a few with Kohler engines, either 8.5hp or 10hp with 2:1 reduction on the engine to get the gearing right. I have used a Posch with the 13hp B&S engine and it is as fast as a pto. I currently have a BGU with Honda GX 270 (9hp). This is also on top of the job.

We have a couple of the petrol Uniforest/Balfor models left in stock at a clearance price (still brand new). We also offer the Collino saw benches here at Riko too

• The old stock models have a 6hp engine with 700mm TT blade and est. 30cm cut.

• The new Collino models have a 9hp Subaru with 700mm TT blade and est. 28cm cut with various options available. The pictured model below has a cut out switch for the engine, a tensioning handle for the belts, a saw guard with two handed feature. The wheels are also much bigger to help with manoeuvring on difficult ground

My customer for this saw in particular was a small woodland trust who required these features for staffs safety. Most of these features can be ordered without the saw if you'd prefer

Small compact tractors will bog down on big timber but operators can nurse it through the blade which will help a lot. I'm pretty sure some of my customers have them on as little as 15hp tractors and are very happy.

I think the recommended power is about 20-25hp

Please give me a call or pm if I can help any further assistance

BR

Calum@Riko

01420 487300