Holly tree

Gbaz

I have just felled a holly tree with a diameter at the base of around 20". I have cut and split it all, I was wondering how long it's likely to need before it's ready to burn?

There are too many variables such as size, split surface and length to be sure but the biggest factor will be airflow. From my experiments last year the species I used, oak,ash elm, sycamore birch and pine, behaved similarly and free standing logs were down to below 25% mc wwb in less than a month. In a tight stack up against the wall there won't be anywhere near the airflow . Generally I reckon to have a stack built by Mid May for it to dry sufficiently for the winter as I am in a very sheltered area.

One thing I did find with holly was it was easier to split by axe than using the cone splitter as the wood seemed to turn to frass without gripping enough to pull the log onto the screw thread.

I have gone off my cone splitter for a number of reasons, says he looking at his half regrown little finger nail.

Hi, I cut, split and pallet stacked some holly just with a tarp covering the top about 6 weeks ago, it's reached 15 - 17% mc at the moment, I've got other holly cut last year and stored in a covered area and it's at 11% mc, not bad for the soggy highlands !!

It's bloody good firewood, I like to use it mixed with birch and / or alder particularly if I'm sitting in front of the stove at night with the door open, cheers.

Megga bad luck is supposed to befall you if you fell a Holly ! Used for making harps I think . Good tone wood . Seriously though I have burnt it and it seems to season as any other wood . As said , air flow is the key .

Megga bad luck is supposed to befall you if you fell a Holly ! .

Had a harvester driver say the same about rown trees, wouldn't cut them down with the machine even though they were in his way while clearing the windblow over them, quite happy for me to rip them out the ground with the botex but wouldn't let me cut them while he was on site.

I think most harps are made from Field Maple, but I may be wrong,

Styx

Yea I think you are right . Don't know were I got that from ! Been in my head for years . Just looked it up and its Maple , Saple , Bubinga , Cherry and Walnut . Depending on your tone requirements . Holly not i there at all ! :biggrin: