Winch on Vertical Splitter.

cessna

Do any of you have a winch on your vertical splitter, so you do not have to lift very heavy lengths of wood, as considering getting a splitter with winch on this October,IF they are a very useful tool. Suggestions/comments much appreciated.

I got a thor 22 ton vertical a couple of years back and got the winch as an option. For us it was a bit of a waste of money for the following reasons. Firstly, i'm relatively young and fit so I can lift things that the winch can't. secondly, its a slow process extending the winch cable, fastening it to the log, winding it in and unfastening it. Thirdly, whatever method you have of attaching the cable to the log ( tongs etc) is in the way when operating the splitter.

However, I can see that if I were less physically able then it could be a godsend. if you laid all your timber out in a big arc around it you could split all day with less exertion but slowly.

Put it this way we broke the cable last year and haven't felt the need to fix it yet.

Hope this helps

tom

Yes got an 18 tonne Krpan with winch. The winch is a godsend and can pull or lift some serious weight. You can pull hefty rounds out of the stack with it. Also lifting over sized rings onto the table some may weigh 100 kg and away you go. Down side is the Krpan winch is not hydraulic but runs of clutch driven by a chain drive. The chain runs the whole time and is not exactly noisy but not silent either. The clutch is quite abrupt and is basically on or off but more than good enough for the job. I would now never consider buying a large vertical splitter without a winch.

Edited by Woodworks

When I bought a Posch I was going to have a winch, mainly to lift large lumps into place but it was a very expensive option. Not sure about the splitter that you have in mind but the Posch has a leg connected by a chain to the split head, so you roll a log in, then as you raise the head the log is stood up vertical for you.

I have not missed a winch but if you need to pull big lumps of timber out then it may be viable.

A

just a bit of advice for Log On Tommy use whatever mechanical means you can when you are young and maybe you wont suffer for it when you are my age.

sound advice taken on board Mr Forester, in all other aspects I try to exploit the capabilities of all our kit to minimse stress on my body but this thing is just too slow. Maybe I have to just chill a bit and stop racing to get everything done as quick as possible.

Rabaud do a winch option on the Farmer II series of log splitters. I saw them at a show a while back and it looked very handy but it did make a fair difference to the price. I suppose if you are using it all the time it would soon prove its worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The winch will lift 800 KG with 15m of chain. park at the timber stack or tree and let the machine do the work. log tongs open to 750cm. it allows opeartor to billet very large logs.

Open day this saturday 11th June Home Forestry llp, willowdene farm, Chorley, Bridgnorth Shropshire, wv166pp. more info on website.

I would not be without the winch on my 17tonne Krpan, yes, a simple on/off clutched drive, but an absolute godsend, used to pull logs from the stack, and up over another crosswise log/logs on the ground to allow easy straight-backed cross cutting, though I mostly then flick the 1.05m lengths on their end without the winch.

I ditched the tongs and merely loop the wire around the butt or log, that way there is nowt to get in the way when fully winched in.

marcus