Vat and partnerships!

MooresFT

I am throwing this out there incase anyone is in the same boat and knows the answers!

So I am VAT registered as a soletrader, my business is fencing.

This year me and a friend have started a firewood business.

He is part of a partnership, a farm, which is VAT registered.

so basically we are both VAT registered for different business's, but now want to start another business/partnership between us. How do you handle Tax / Vat?

anyone got the same?

Thanks in advanced.

With firewood it's worth getting vat straight away as you buy in at 20% and sell at 5%. I can't see that vat will be too complicated for you as it's the business that pays not the individual. I'm in a similar position and don't have any problems but that could because I don't make enough money. :)

I am throwing this out there incase anyone is in the same boat and knows the answers!

So I am VAT registered as a soletrader, my business is fencing.

This year me and a friend have started a firewood business.

He is part of a partnership, a farm, which is VAT registered.

so basically we are both VAT registered for different business's, but now want to start another business/partnership between us. How do you handle Tax / Vat?

anyone got the same?

Thanks in advanced.

A couple of questions in order to be able to help :-

1) Do you want to be vat registered in the new business ?

2) Is the new business the same "trade" or a closely related trade to the trade that as either of you currently trade in ?

Answer 1) Yup we are happy to VAT register

2) Depends what you call close, I am a fencing contractor and friend is a farmer.

Thats what we figured, go LTD for the firewood and VAT register.

I was wondering how that would work for me tho, as my fencing is a soletrader business, do i need to go LTD with the fencing side of things aswel?

2) Depends what you call close, I am a fencing contractor and friend is a farmer.

I was wondering how that would work for me tho, as my fencing is a soletrader business, do i need to go LTD with the fencing side of things aswel?

I think you can just stay as you are with the other stuff.

Worth checking it's not classed as too close in nature to either of your business's

VAT and Ltd are too separate issues. On the VAT front I would say that HMRC would consider this a linked trade in which case you will need to apply for a new VAT number as a partnership. If your intended business is firewood this is a no brainer anyway, reclaim 20% charge 5% ( in most cases).

On the LTD front there are two issues here. Liability and tax. If your business is firewood, you have full PL/ PI insurance, you are no intending to borrow or build up big creditors, then the liability issue is a mute one. On the tax side without knowing a great deal more I couldn't advise but I would hazard a guess that you would probably be better off as a partnership rather than a LTD business.