do mini bandsaw mills exist?

se7enthdevil

i am starting to collect a few logs that are no bigger than 3'-6' long and 12"-16" wide. some are just to short and stumpy to put on standard band mills and using a chainsaw would waste too much timber.

is there a band mill that can cut these small sizes as the wood is too nice to waste.

Surely its a case of thinking aboult how to hold the log to stop it moving if you want to cut a log that small on a horizontal bandsaw. Some of the beefier vertical bandsaws would allow you to plank logs of that size. Logging bandsaws spec sheet - Spectrum Plant

Also Atika make a couple of big site saws that could be used for ripping. Belle ATIKA BTH 400 450mm Contsruction Grade Wood Circular Saw Bench 230v | eBay

I think the logs you want to mill would be doable with the Turbosawmill [ame]

[/ame]

And I've just found this mill which I hadn't seen before whilst looking for the Turbosawmill link, [ame]

[/ame] Perhaps a bit more than you need.

I agree with you that there is a need for being able to use good quality but either small volume or small size timber. There is certainly growing consumer interest in things that are sourced locally. The farming sector is doing a really good job about convincing the public to buy local. Why is the forestry sector not doing the same, the door has already been opened.....

Chris

On my fourth favourite soapbox subject....