biomass for beginners

biggarlogs

A local estate is planning a new biomass unit. 3 boilers and a chip drying plant to heat approx a dozen houses.

My interest is that I would like to get involved in the timber forwarding(have timber trailer and tractor).chipping first thinning ...what is the best chipper in size and with respect to chip quality.I have a to 760 chipper which is old but runs,and I know will not do a good job.how many horse power do I need to run chipper.or what is a sensible contractors rate to produce chip in tonnes/ cubic metres/ hourly rate?

Should I jump or let someone else get the work.prelimary figures suggested 200-250 tonnes a year.

Sensible replys welcome,advice taken and leg pulling will of course .:thumbup:

What size chipper for 300 horses?my Max diameter could be down to 18 inch.anything bigger will be broken down with digger and cracker.what's the best chipper??

We sometimes hire a Muzmax which will take 24 inch possibly a bit more at a push. 300 HP drives it nicely.

Best chipper who knows but we are very happy with the muzmax quality. Heisohack are good. Woodsman the worst if they are still going

Can only guess what is a farming one but f that's a chipper with no screen then not good for biomass. Small boilers are fussy about chip quality. Do you know the chip spec.

I would go mobile as 250 tonnes are only 2 or 3 days work with a medium sized chipper so not a big earner. Heizohack definitely with a look. You should enquire what screen sizes come with it. G30 or G 50 chip probably is most common so 30 or 50 mm screen very useful.