Moving leylandii

I now most of you would rather just chop it down but in the right place, a large leylandii is quite attractive and good for birds.

Anyway, the former owner of our house planted a few small ones (about 8' high) along a fence where they're not wanted. If I dig them up, are they likely to grow elsewhere? I have virtually no evergreen in my new woodland and these could provide some wildlife cover and winter structure

simple answer is yes but you have to get as much of the root ball as possible and then be strong enough to pick it up !

at 8' i would give them a go if i was asked to to it

start digging quite wide of the trees and once you start to find the roots swap to a fork you'll do less damage to the roots this way

Weve moved similar size on a site 2, sometimes 3 times. Last time was last summer and hot as @@@@. Not letting them dry out between moves and aftercare - watering, they never lost one. Pretty surprised to be honest they put up with it.

As the advice above - retain as much root ball and soil as possible around the roots, don't leave the roots to dry out ie cover/keep wet and out of wind while transporting, and they will generally be fine in their new location.

Personally I would use a digger/bucket to save my back and increase the chance of the trees surviving.

Don't have a digger, was hoping to manpower them onto the back of the Mule to move them. Nothing to lose, really and ground is well watered by springs so not concerned about them drying out

Hire one with driver. Normally sub £30/ hr. Depends how much you value your time but digger should be 10 times faster and easier.

Hire one with driver. Normally sub £30/ hr. Depends how much you value your time but digger should be 10 times faster and easier.

With a driver in my experience they will charge for the day even if job only takes a couple of hours

Don't worry about it, what lives in your wood will be fine as it it. If you want more birds plant trees that provide food over the winter. Hawthorne would be a good start. Also provides cover. Vary the structure of the wood. Introducing Laylandii into a purely broadleaf environment is just going to cause headaches in the future. If you desperately want something green try holly. But keep it tight and don't let the regen take over.