CPC Training

treebloke

There are some new laws or possibly guidelines coming in soon, I am not sure which but I do know things are altering.

We have an operators license for our HGV's and I know haulage firms have to have CPC as well. We have got around this in the past because I do not employ anyone as a driver although driving is part of their daily routine, I emply arborist's. However, the guy who does our training is telling me that is no longer the case, if you drive a HGV or employ people who do then you have got have CPC Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) | Driver Training | RoSPA

Thoughts?.

I think you are getting your cpcs mixed up.

The ones that apply to hgvs are either operator cpc, which as far as I'm aware you still won't need to hold a restricted o licence, and driver cpc, which if you are employed as a hgv driver you will need to get 35 hours of training before 2014.

There are some new laws or possibly guidelines coming in soon, I am not sure which but I do know things are altering.

We have an operators license for our HGV's and I know haulage firms have to have CPC as well. We have got around this in the past because I do not employ anyone as a driver although driving is part of their daily routine, I emply arborist's. However, the guy who does our training is telling me that is no longer the case, if you drive a HGV or employ people who do then you have got have CPC Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) | Driver Training | RoSPA

Thoughts?.

I'm told anyone who has a vocational licence must do 35hrs of training every five yrs, if you don't do it, license will be revoked. It's rubbish really, because there is nothing to say you have to do the various modules, you could attend the drivers hours module five times and there's your 35hrs, ridiculous.

As stated above NO operator cpc needed on restricted o licence, driver cpc (dcpc) needed after sept 2014 if you want to drive commercialy, what i`ve read you wont lose your heavy goods licence after that date just not able to drive commercialy, there will be certian exemptions to dcpc. Again cant be 100% sure but driving say a large (3.5t+) chip truck to site doing tree work for the day then taking truck and chips back to yard should be ok with no dcpc, but using the same truck and delivering a load of logs you`ve sold would need a dcpc. I`ll try and dig out where i`ve read about exemptions and post a link for reference.

no cpc required on a restricted o license.... or for anyone who drives it under your employ... only need one when its not restricted and your lorry is for hire or rewaed

Not quite the case, if you employ a driver, they must have cpc. It you employ a tree surgeon who also drives as part of their work then they don't have to have it.

Delivery of own goods is fine on a restricted o licence, it is haulage of others goods that isn't.

If you drive for "hire or reward" then you will need cpc!!

At the moment you can still get on the course for free and it's just an attendance course but in 2014 you will have to pay and also pass a written test at the end.