Nice spalted beech

TonyIOM

I opened up a manky beech log and found this beautiful spalted beech! I managed to get 4, 3" thick boards and a 9" slab, about 26" wide and a metre long.

The big slab is going to a friend who has a VB36 master bowl turning lathe so I'll put some pictures up of the finished works.

Unfortunately the 56 miles between the Isle of Man and the UK can make postage prohibitive but I can cut smaller blanks if anyone is interested?

Cheers

Tony

DSCF9627.jpg.deacd1225e9d318ea52aec3d91670b71.jpg

DSCF9628.JPG.027a733f966883ab739b8f4054b817ba.JPG

DSCF9626.JPG.04e3d8f7c8d9e56027eb06841cbbe3da.JPG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark

I'm going to try making a side table of sorts but I suspect it will be a triumph of form over function - I'm more into chainsaw carving but need a break from owls and bears! The friend with the big lathe is planning some special piece of work with the 9" slab - I can barely walk it across the ground never mind lift it!

Do you do bowl turning or lathe work? If so I'll he happy to send you some blanks FOC if you cover the postage.

I have 3 bigger stems still to mill, around 9' by 3' and big elm burrs but I'm haven't figured out the best orientation for the first cut through the burrs.

Cheers

ElmGroup.jpg.aa644c1a896b634285b01564617b7cae.jpg

DSCF5641.JPG.03af9591e18072e9e4e78bf8fb256710.JPG

Elmtrunks.JPG.d7e912c65cd25f8a8a14965ad8c08559.JPG

Nice Elm , I am also into chainsaw carving , but I also love milling planks and making furniture , I have a nice big yard and workshop , , would love some of that elm burr to make a coffee table , you are welcome to come down and have a day making some sawdust , where are you based , I have a lathe but not very good with it just not had any time to practice maybe one day

Cheers Mark