Why do we have to pay more in the UK?

john432

I'm seriously looking for an 8 tonne forestry winch. Liked the spec on paper ,and the build weight and rope capacity of Kdg winches. The discounted price from the Uk distibuter of a ful spec 8T with remote control,unwinder etc is £5975 +vat

Searching on google, same spec, in Germany is advertised for 7300Eur including VAT at 20%

which equates to £4500 + vat

now that is a big difference, if it cost another £500 to transport it to the uk? Is this another case of RIP off Britain? or the importer being greedy? What would other people do? TIA John

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another case of rip off Britain John. I delivered logs to a customer who had project managed the refurbishment of a number of properties and bought 7 wood burners from a supplier. He negotiated a deal where he saved just over 50% per stove. Therefore the seller was selling them at less than 50% normal retail price and was still happy he was making a profit!

I've emailed the manufactuerer, for a direct price,all he came back with was the contact details of the Uk supplier. Mailed him back with the difference in price and asking for an explanation? I've also mailed a company in france who sells these winches for a price. see what happens. thanks all .

Another case of rip off Britain John. I delivered logs to a customer who had project managed the refurbishment of a number of properties and bought 7 wood burners from a supplier. He negotiated a deal where he saved just over 50% per stove. Therefore the seller was selling them at less than 50% normal retail price and was still happy he was making a profit!

Stanley stoves were the same,years ago, all the uk dealers had the same price, they were sold in EIRE for about a 1000 quid less! why?

Definitely rip off Britain.

Literally everything is more expensive here - houses, vehicles, fuel, food, alcohol, equipment, firewood, holiday accommodation. The list goes on. That's just a comparison with Germany (only country I know well).

Only things I can think are more expensive are electricity and heating oil. Taxes are pretty similar.

I'd go and get it myself in Germany if I was going to pay the VAT anyway.

I import loads of stuff into Denmark from other EU countries, as it makes sense to save the money for a small bit of extra hassle. Germany is a very reliable country to import stuff from, so you shouldn't have any issues really.

Definitely rip off Britain.

Literally everything is more expensive here - houses, vehicles, fuel, food, alcohol, equipment, firewood, holiday accommodation. The list goes on. That's just a comparison with Germany (only country I know well).

Only things I can think are more expensive are electricity and heating oil. Taxes are pretty similar.

Maybe BECAUSE everything is more expensive, everything is more expensive?

It's a bit "economics trippy", but since all the living and trading costs are higher for UK outlets, they have to charge more to pay for their running, living, treat costs??

Just a thought? Or maybe we really are paying too much. So much for a European common market place....