Bowl turned from tree from my wood

Two Acres

A mate of mine has just got into wood turning and he's offered to help me in the wood in exchange for some timber. Sounds a good deal to me :thumbup1: As a start we cut up a very old, heavily burred tree that blew down a few weeks back. It was part of the remains of an old hedgerow and my best guess is that it was a field maple, but I'm no expert. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Also what other wood is good for turning? I have dead elm, overgrown hazel, and leylandi that all need felling/coppicing. I also have lots of poplar, but I assume thats useless? On my woodpile I also have some cherry and ash of a good size. Are they good for turning? Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

image.jpg.f824f5c00bd237a2497cf5ab288aca69.jpg

in my humble opinion there is only one answer here.

all wood is good for turning.

it all depends if the turner has the skill or like using that sort of timber, for example i hate monkey puzzle but it's great when used by the right person.

the bowl certainly looks like field maple.

as for the woods you have mentioned all are fine for turning but the only timber i can't comment on is the hazle as i've never had any to turn. how big is it as i may be interested in a sample

Thanks dervishcarving and se7enthdevil,

The elm is all deadstanding, so will be dry or drying.

Very interesting that all wood is potentially good for turning - we'll have a play then :biggrin:

se7enthdevil - I'll have to measure the hazel for you. As a complete guess I'd say at least 8 inches diameter. Its not been coppiced in years and years and is at the point of falling over under its own weight.