Husky 365 question

Mr Lee

I was stupid enough to lend my saw to a friend who said it was faulty. I only bought the saw a few weeks ago and ran it in fine. Did some cutting etc and all was fine.

He borrowed it with my 18" bar/chain. After 15 minutes of cutting he said it threw the chain, bar and sideplate off. :confused1: Now when I lent him it everything was tight as I checked it prior to letting him use it. He said he adjusted the chain whilst using it. When he handed it back the chain is damaged on the drive links where it has come off and hit the bar or rim sprocket. The chain won't run smoothly at all up the bar anymore as it has dings etc in it. However, when he picked up the bar, chain and nuts, he also picked up a white plastic washer. Now I've not noticed this before and can't find it on any exploded diagrams. Wether it was just something on the ground next to where he was cutting and he assumed it was from the saw or not I don't know. Anybody any ideas?

Also whilst asking about the above, i'm replacing the bar and chain for a new one and thought about an Oregon pro lite 18" bar and the Oregon semi chisel 3/8 .058 68 drive links. I don't use it daily and the main task it has is general farm work, fallen trees, firewood piles etc. Am I picking the best chain for this kind of work? I don't need it to cut fast as i'm not in any rush or price work etc. I also hand sharpen rather than using a grinder. Looking on Rob's website chainsaw bars for replacements. :thumbup1:

Pics below of said plastic washer. Thoughts?

IMG_8218_zpsiomksden.jpg

IMG_8220_zpsqmqedxhw.jpg

IMG_8221_zpsuabtctj2.jpg

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Very strange for the bar and chain to fall off a saw... almost certainly major operator malfunction along the way...

New in box husky saws come with a white plastic washer over one bar stud just to correctly gap the clutch cover with no bar mounted.

If your saw somehow had the bar and chain installed with this washer still in place I can see the nuts and clutch cover vibrating off... unlikely to be done tho, it would have looked well wonky before hand

Edited by tree_beard

New in box husky saws come with a white plastic washer over one bar stud just to correctly gap the clutch cover with no bar mounted.

If your saw somehow had the bar and chain installed with this washer still in place I can see the nuts and clutch cover vibrating off... it would have looked well wonky before hand tho

It was new in the box but the bar was seperately packaged. It wasn't on there when I fitted the bar initially so not sure how it's turned up chewed up? When I lent him it, he had the saw, fuel, tools etc and bar cover. So unless he's taken the bar off for some reason :001_huh: I don't know. Genuinley confused.

Bar was straight and running smoothly when it left here. When I asked him all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and the typical 'dunno...' comment. Lessons learn't though.

Cheers Treebeard

I'd say your friend owes you a chain at least.. bar nuts dont just ping off in the blink of an eye.

18" bar and semi chisel chain should do you perfectly for general firewood/farm duties btw

Oh trust me, he's definately going to be paying for a new chain at the very least. :thumbup1:

Does he know how to use a saw ? A friend of mine was having trouble with his firewood saw, chain coming loose along with clutch cover and when I looked at it with him he was not locating the adjuster pin in the bar hole. I explained what it does and showed him how to do it and turn the bar over (Oh no the writing is upside down !) and why you do it and sent him on his way. He has had no problem since :D

Does he know how to use a saw ? A friend of mine was having trouble with his firewood saw, chain coming loose along with clutch cover and when I looked at it with him he was not locating the adjuster pin in the bar hole. I explained what it does and showed him how to do it and turn the bar over (Oh no the writing is upside down !) and why you do it and sent him on his way. He has had no problem since :D

Hi,

Agreed, a friend asked me to 'take a look at my saw as the chain would not go round the blade...'

It was misaligned by not locating with tensioner & the bar at a pronouced angle, so I explained how to get it all fitting correctly.

Does sound like a similar incidence to me

N