Turning Balls........

Lazurus

On my last lathe I had a natty little gadget that allowed me to turn perfect spheres, now on the VB36 I am going to have to use "skill". Any advice as I wish to make some balls for a local pub skittle game?

Steve over to you for advice........

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get some silver steel of different diameters . Drill then bore out the center for a short length , say 50 or 60 mm . Harden and temper then grind the face that has the hole in flat . You then have a tube ( or several of differing sizes ) with a sharp edge to the start of the ID of the tube . Set a tool rest just below center to bring the tube on center . Spin up and work it round by hand .

you can either use calipers and patience or you are welcome to pop over to my workshop and use my gadget to turn them...

That's a nice offer thank you, long drive from North Norfolk though, I think I feel a Christmas present:laugh1: request coming on.....

Get some silver steel of different diameters . Drill then bore out the center for a short length , say 50 or 60 mm . Harden and temper then grind the face that has the hole in flat . You then have a tube ( or several of differing sizes ) with a sharp edge to the start of the ID of the tube . Set a tool rest just below center to bring the tube on center . Spin up and work it round by hand .

Yes I have got some hole saws of differing diameter that I ground the teeth off and then raised a burr for finishing, guess I will have to do it the "proper way" until I sort a gadget.......:thumbup:

That's a nice offer thank you, long drive from North Norfolk though, I think I feel a Christmas present:laugh1: request coming on.....

i'd love to see a picture of the complete set of skittles and balls so i can laugh at them, ahem, whoops sorry i mean admire them of course:lol::lol::lol:

where did you get the wood for the balls?

seriously though, if you can manage the round trip of 6 hours then you are welcome to come round and see my device so you can copy it if you like. also got plenty of timber you can pick from if you like.

i'd love to see a picture of the complete set of skittles and balls so i can laugh at them, ahem, whoops sorry i mean admire them of course:lol::lol::lol:

where did you get the wood for the balls?

That was the next question..... What wood is best, they will take a bashing at the pub?