Stump Grinding

Stefan Palokangas

Heya folks

Have done Stump Grinding now for a year and a half, and it have been a adventure, i was on a holiday in a log cabin and there the thought of it started walking up and down the beach with my two springer spaniels, i was thinking what i could do. Stump grinding came to my mind due to me started doing trees at the age of 12 in Sweden in my step dads forest, back then in weekends took down trees and drove the john deere tractor up collected it all, and been working all my life when i lived in Sweden in forestry. So there and then on that beach walk with my dogs i made my mind up, when i get home I'm going to order a stump grinder. Started to look around and got a little surprise on the price on them, over 20 thousand pounds. Bloody hell !!!! But it was to late i had my mind set on it, and it just had to be a tracked remote controlled one.

Beginning was hard, just a bit outlet, but now the fruit staring to show for me, and I'm so happy i went down this road. I honestly lose contact with time when i work with it, its pure play, i don't feel I'm working at all, I'm having fun every single minute of it.

Now my next challenge will start, i will start taking down trees aswell, but that's for next year.

I hope you all enjoy the job as much as i do :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I'm in it for the money, it's just to good a business proposition.

Stumps are a valuable add on sale with a very high percentage of tree and hedge removals including the stump.

It's a simple recipe that works, truck, chipper, grinder.

We offer fencing as an add on to hedge removal and with this a whole plethora of landscaping services.

Pricing wise, I'm unashamedly greedy.

I have a mate who operates a 15t 360 which cost 120k plus vat.

My hourly rate for running a 25k machine is the same as his, crazy perhaps but it does not seem to be a barrier.

Our plan is to replace our Carlton 4012 with 2 machines.

A pedestrian and 45hp+

Ordered a new truck last Friday and signed the 'bon de command' for a GM190 on Saturday.

This should give us the potential for 2 teams plus freeing up myself to take care of the grinding, quoting and childcare.

All good!

Ty:thumbup:

Every time this topic comes up it reminds me I want to start up a dedicated stump grinding business, it's just whether the work is out there! In my area, there's lots of big firms with all the grinding toys!!

If your running your own outfit however small then you should be taking care your own stumps.

The figures speak for themselves at the end of the day.

Ty:thumbup:

Every time this topic comes up it reminds me I want to start up a dedicated stump grinding business, it's just whether the work is out there! In my area, there's lots of big firms with all the grinding toys!!

Just offer it as part of your services, you make it work for you. It works for me, I grind my own stumps, not fussed about anyone else.

Just offer it as part of your services, you make it work for you. It works for me, I grind my own stumps, not fussed about anyone else.

Yeah I grind all my own stumps etc, but thought about offering it more, like setting up a separate website etc, be nice to do two - three days a week grinding!!

Heya folks

Have done Stump Grinding now for a year and a half, and it have been a adventure, i was on a holiday in a log cabin and there the thought of it started walking up and down the beach with my two springer spaniels, i was thinking what i could do. Stump grinding came to my mind due to me started doing trees at the age of 12 in Sweden in my step dads forest, back then in weekends took down trees and drove the john deere tractor up collected it all, and been working all my life when i lived in Sweden in forestry. So there and then on that beach walk with my dogs i made my mind up, when i get home I'm going to order a stump grinder. Started to look around and got a little surprise on the price on them, over 20 thousand pounds. Bloody hell !!!! But it was to late i had my mind set on it, and it just had to be a tracked remote controlled one.

Beginning was hard, just a bit outlet, but now the fruit staring to show for me, and I'm so happy i went down this road. I honestly lose contact with time when i work with it, its pure play, i don't feel I'm working at all, I'm having fun every single minute of it.

Now my next challenge will start, i will start taking down trees aswell, but that's for next year.

I hope you all enjoy the job as much as i do :)

Great news that it has worked out for you, I remember your post on looking into stump grinding well .

I advertise Stump grinding on my Van and get a lot of inquiries But they soon dwindle down to a handful when i give them a quote so I don't push it these days and I wait till I get half dozen and hire a machine to spread the cost now .

Ste

Glad you're enjoying it Steph, fun when grinding is a bit weird for me. I just think about the money if I'm honest!

I think Mick is talking about something else when he mentions 'weirdness' and 'money' in the same sentence.

Grindr - Find gay, bi, curious guys for free near you with Grindr on the iPhone, Android and BlackBerry

Ty:001_tt2: