Anyone else dabble in stocks and shares?

daveindales

Used to have a few shares years ago, but sold them when I got a mortgage. Have just finished paying off the mortgage and started buying a few shares again earlier this year. Not made a fortune yet, but not lost one either. Anyone else like a flutter on the markets?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have bought shares in about a dozen different companies over the last 7 years. Lost money on some, made on others. As it stands, my average return is about 6% per year so better than if the money was sitting in the bank. The shares are invested in an ISA so no tax to pay on dividends or any capital gains.

Gives me something to do of a morning, checking the movements, although it's been a bumpy few weeks recently.

I know little of how it works. A mate of mine dabbles a lot since he Retired, he's got plenty of tut to play with, mind.

If what he tells me is true, (ive no reason to disbelieve him) he's made good money out of stocks and shares. Same as anything, it's got to be treated the same as any other job.

It's one better than betting for a living, but should be regarded as not far off.

Put 100000 in a false account and trade with that for 6 months then if you think you have what it takes do it for real.

Your right but... If you can make that work you're one of the few. Psychologically, it's an incredibly hard transition going from fake money to your own real money. Also, unless you actually have 100k to play with it's going to be an unpleasant shock to find how much larger a percentage of your account you're blowing in trading fees on your much smaller real life account.

I know little of how it works. A mate of mine dabbles a lot since he Retired, he's got plenty of tut to play with, mind.

If what he tells me is true, (ive no reason to disbelieve him) he's made good money out of stocks and shares. Same as anything, it's got to be treated the same as any other job.

It's one better than betting for a living, but should be regarded as not far off.

Hi EGGS as I told before I no someone works for Goldman Sachs he nos his self but then he should 😆😆thanks Jon

Your right but... If you can make that work you're one of the few. Psychologically, it's an incredibly hard transition going from fake money to your own real money. Also, unless you actually have 100k to play with it's going to be an unpleasant shock to find how much larger a percentage of your account you're blowing in trading fees on your much smaller real life account.

A good friend of mine has traded 10k for 2 years & just paid for a four week holiday in oz and has a deposit for a house I've seen the investments with my own eyes.

A good friend of mine has traded 10k for 2 years & just paid for a four week holiday in oz and has a deposit for a house I've seen the investments with my own eyes.

I wasn't being dismissive, just wanted to voice some caution. If your friend's still made money (or not lost any) over the last 3 months then I'm certainly impressed. My personality is such that it's very difficult to trade with the detachment required to not lose money.

I wasn't being dismissive, just wanted to voice some caution. If your friend's still made money (or not lost any) over the last 3 months then I'm certainly impressed. My personality is such that it's very difficult to trade with the detachment required to not lose money.

A friend of mine kicked off with about 10K about fifteen years ago ,his shares have peaked at £130k and troughed at below £80k, I think he is back up at over the £100k again but the hits do hurt. It works for him because its a bit of sport at lunchtime in the office and he has friends that steer him in the right direction ( most of the time) :001_smile:

Bob