Buying fire wood

rob39

Hi all

What's the best value way of buying logs. Some companies sell by the Builders bag (bulk bag)softwood KD (kiln dried) £65-£75 Hardwood KD £90-£105, (roughly 0.9m3 per bag) though one company in the s/w Scotland sells hardwood logs 1m3 bag for £70 softwood for £60 1m3, another delivers loose trailer loads from 2 to 10 cubic metre loads from £140-£700. Palleted birch KD 1m3 £160 2m3 £250 or a S/W Scot company 1.6m3 pallet £110 Softwood £95

Products Archive - Southwest Firewood

Buy Logs Online | Firewood Delivery Scotland | Wood Logs Lanarkshire

Kiln dried firewood, logs, kindling, log stores and rock salt Scotland, UK | Reliable logs every time | Clydesdale Logs | Kiln Dried Firewood

Birch Hardwood Logs For Sale | Wood Pellets | Renfrewshire | Glasgow | Dundee

Kiln Dried Logs | Gartlove Logs

Seasoned Softwood | Gartlove Logs

Also the Forestry commission do supply permits to collect timber for a price and time limited

Any thoughts

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

What's the best value way of buying logs. Some companies sell by the Builders bag (bulk bag)softwood KD (kiln dried) £65-£75 Hardwood KD £90-£105, (roughly 0.9m3 per bag) though one company in the s/w Scotland sells hardwood logs 1m3 bag for £70 softwood for £60 1m3, another delivers loose trailer loads from 2 to 10 cubic metre loads from £140-£700. Palleted birch KD 1m3 £160 2m3 £250 or a S/W Scot company 1.6m3 pallet £110 Softwood £95

Kiln dried firewood, logs, kindling, log stores and rock salt Scotland, UK | Reliable logs every time | Clydesdale Logs | Kiln Dried Firewood

Also the Forestry commission do supply permits to collect timber for a price and time limited

Any thoughts

Decide which delivery suits you ie loose loads or bags then buy by volume

but looks like you will have some working out to do with all the different sizes.

1 cubic metre of loose logs will equate to about 0.7 of stacked ones roughly.

Hope this helps, Chris.

Decide which delivery suits you ie loose loads or bags then buy by volume

but looks like you will have some working out to do with all the different sizes.

1 cubic metre of loose logs will equate to about 0.7 of stacked ones roughly.

Hope this helps, Chris.

Yea that helps :thumbup1:

I'd never let a new customer I didn't know into my yard to "look at logs"as there are too many scallys looking to case places out. All they want to do is look around to see what's worth coming back to steal.

I'd offer to drop them a net as a sample for free and if they like it, they can order more.

Just my two pen'orth, others may disagree

Edited by rapalaman

I'd never let a new customer I didn't know into my yard to "look at logs"as there are too many scallys looking to case places out. All they want to do is look around to see what's worth coming back to steal.

I'd offer to drop them a net as a sample for free and if they like it, they can order more.

Just my two pen'orth, others may disagree

I would do exactly the same. No customer's come to my yard. Also if your letting customers to your yard check the small print on you insurance, I did and I'm not covered for theft if I have customers visiting me!

Hi all

Any thoughts

The best way to buy logs is whichever option is most economical for your set of circumstances

If you are physically fit with plenty of storage space and an enclosed stove setup then buy unseasoned logs regardless of spices, stack them yourself and air dry them.

If you are short of storage space you will need seasoned logs.

If you have an open fire then you will want to avoid softwood

Find a supplier who offers the product you need and then work out the most economical route for you, reduce all the options to a price per cubic metre on your drive or in your shed.

If, as seems likely you are in SW Scotland then delivery will be an important part of the equation.