Ecology surveyd

dsearle

Hi I work for a Utility cutting firm. I have a degree in conservation biology and a general passion for the subjects of ecology and arboriculture. My boss brought up the idea of me doing the ecological surveys rather then outsourcing them. My question is what are the requirements of the surveyor in order to make their surveys legitimate. What do I need to know? And is it even possible for somebody within the company to do the survey. I hope this makes sense. Any information on this area would be greatly appreciated.

They're are varying levels of survey. Each addressing varying depths of assessments. Phase one phase two and phase three. They're is a phase which is a bit hybrid and is referred to as phase one and a half. There are one day courses that you do that teach principles of surveying at the first level and briefly level two. I went on one with company down in Bristol. Google phase one ecology survey course, may bring something up.

Someone more cynical than me might suggest that your boss wants to bring it in house to make sure the right boxes are ticked and jobs aren't held up because of wildlife!

I see that. But from my point of view I would never do it as a box ticking exercise and would make sure it is done correctly. It is great for my personal development and would make me more valuable to the company and would save them money.

So far, all speculation. I'm going to be blunt as an indirect act of help. If you don't know why the survey is needed and the extent of the detail needed, you shouldn't do it. No specification, no way.

I know why the survey is needed. What I am asking is are there qualifications required. Such as to use a chainsaw in a tree you need CS39

I know why the survey is needed. What I am asking is are there qualifications required. Such as to use a chainsaw in a tree you need CS39

I'm going to spell it out. A survey is needed. You seem to know why. You haven't told us why. You want to know if you should do it. Comparing it with CS39 is of no relevance whatsoever. No-one can tell you if you are competent to do a survey with an undefined specification and competence level.