Stihl 028av super parts advice needed

flatyre

hey folks don't know why but I took a real notion for an old av Stihl after reading up on them online. I picked up an 028av super basket case off fleebay with the intentions of rebuilding it, I had planned on replacing the piston and rings and getting a carb kit as the seller said it was all there, it just needed put back together, however the bore is badly scraped as well. The seller said he took it apart to be nosey and couldn't remember how to assemble it. I think it was down on compression so he pulled it apart, seen the damage, and thought stuff that. Anyway I'm used to stripping and rebuilding equipment so am looking forward to the job. Question is where is the best place to get a new pot and piston? Do I need to re mortgage the house to buy genuine Stihl parts or has anyone bought non oem parts off ebay and what was the verdict? thanks

Question is where is the best place to get a new pot and piston? Do I need to re mortgage the house to buy genuine Stihl parts or has anyone bought non oem parts off ebay and what was the verdict? thanks

DLA Engine Parts - Cylinder Kit fit STIHL 028 AV Super, 028 Q/W/WB (46mm) [#11180201203] - NIKASIL

STIHL 028 CYLINDER PISTON ASSY 46MM NEW 12 MONTH WARRANTY

I have used both firms and service is good. They won't be as good as OEM or meteor piston in the original bore

Farmer Rod may still have some bits left.

Check the piston diameter

It's unusual for a nikasil bore to get gouged from a simple seizure.

If you want to have a go with this, pot and piston look virtually new, con rod is broken, I dont think its a Stihl original, the only id reads GILARDONI 2 on the bottom flange of the pot.

I think Stubby is a genius just for his photography skills alone.

IMG_1544.jpg.63d113e076cfba9db1ffc02076565987.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg.691a53f09186c9fac61c5ed1f10c3245.jpg

If you want to have a go with this, pot and piston look virtually new, con rod is broken, I dont think its a Stihl original, the only id reads GILARDONI 2 on the bottom flange of the pot.

I think Stubby is a genius just for his photography skills alone.

It's not the stihl original, I bought the saw seized from a neighbour in the early 90s, I cannot remember where I got the pot and piston from.

Very soon after I put it back to work it came to a sudden stop with the broken conrod, I put this down to my being hamfisted in the rebuild.