logosol kiln help

justin131

put together a logosol kiln recently, used the insulation they specify in the instructions to build the box. one thing I noticed was that it was very easy to compressed. the box I've put together is wider and longer than the one in the instructions so used 75mm boards instead of 50mm. planning to put a very heavy load of elm through it what i'm thinking is the bricks holding the bearers might compress into the floor of the kiln this would make it uneven and cause warping.

does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? should I put a solid base on the floor to support the weight of the load and if so what should I use?

any advice much appreciated

I have had the Sauno kiln now for 4 years. I made the first one to their specs but after about 3 loads it fell apart.. I put a plywood sheet on the bottom to help strengthen it but the door design bit was crap.

I have just rebuilt it a few months ago to my design and its far better. I built a frame out of doug fir and infilled it with 75mm insulation foam. The floor has 125mm insulation and the door has 100mm of insulation. Its over-engineered but no heat escapes and its more economical to run. Main thing I have changed is allowed 4 inches on each end to let the air circulate properly, and waterproofed the whole of the inside with fibreglass. The fibreglassing was expensive and time consuming but I think it works better than painting the inside of it with aluminium roofing paint which is the American way.

Get a good seal around the door as its amazing just how small a gap can slow the temp going up to 70 degrees.

I can email you some photos of the build if you pm me your email address if you like.

cheers

Mike