Climber, truck and chipper

jeanesy

Just wondering if there was a market for an experienced climber, truck and chipper in the glos, worcs and warwks areas.

Also, what would people expect to pay for the above?

Looking at getting my own work but subbing out whilst getting started. Have regular work just doing the contract climbing but is a van and chipper more of a draw?

Truck not sign written.

Cheers

Dan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get customers. I'd stay away from climbing if you're proving the van and chipper means you get to control what goes through it etc. A lot of lads working for firms will give you work as they have the skills but not the equipement, but tends to be weekend only

I doubt you'll get any work for your chipper.

You're marketing yourself to people who already have chippers.

Unless yours is on tracks, 16" capacity and you live near me!

Ha! Fair comment. Just thinking perhaps someone may want to send out a second team without having the means to do so

Ha! Fair comment. Just thinking perhaps someone may want to send out a second team without having the means to do so

Fair point but that person won't have the staff to send out if he doesn't have the gear to go with them.

The only way your idea will work is if,

Firstly, you market yourself as a freelancer.

Secondly, with the option of a tipping truck.

Dan,

I would either market yourself as a freelancer with truck as Old mill says.

or

Try to find another company that uses bonafide sub contractors to give you work. Then get yourself a groundsman and pay him and do the work in your own time and pace.

The latter option also allows you to see what crap goes into the chipper. Providing you don't hire an absolute tool to help you.

Fair point but that person won't have the staff to send out if he doesn't have the gear to go with them.

The only way your idea will work is if,

Firstly, you market yourself as a freelancer.

Secondly, with the option of a tipping truck.

I have marketed myself as a freelance climber, been busy since taking the plunge 18 months ago. Already have the truck (bought very recently) and my own work is trickling in. Can I justify the chipper at the moment?...not sure

Dan,

I would either market yourself as a freelancer with truck as Old mill says.

or

Try to find another company that uses bonafide sub contractors to give you work. Then get yourself a groundsman and pay him and do the work in your own time and pace.

The latter option also allows you to see what crap goes into the chipper. Providing you don't hire an absolute tool to help you.

Good points rich. I know a few good blokes that I can call on and perhaps some of the larger companies in the area may be interested in using bona fide sub contractors, particularly as the season progresses and the workloads start to grow