Multiple TPO applications for same tree?

benedmonds

I am getting increasingly frustrated with TPO applications at he moment, one council in-particular has cut their staff and now don't have enough to do the job. There is never anyone to talk to and applications all seem to be taking over the 8 weeks point. This makes planning and booking in works a nightmare as even jobs I am confident they will get approval for do not get it approved in time. Pre application advice is never possible...!

As we are busy I provisionally book works in for after the 8 weeks, this all goes to pot when you don't hear back, it is even worse when you hear nothing for 8 weeks, send numerous emails and then get a refusal. We used to often get an informative with a refusal stating what they might accept, but these days it is just "REFUSAL"

In jobs with multiple trees where there may be some dispute I have started sending individual applications for the different jobs, as otherwise you get a refusal for all the works.. This has got me thinking, in cases where the outcome is unsure, is it worth making multiple applications for different specifications, ie, one for fell, one for reduce, one for lift? It would create more work both at my end and the TO's but it could shorten the wait time as at the moment theoretically I apply for a fell get a refusal after 8 weeks, then the reduction another refusal and another 8 weeks, then another 8 weeks till the lift is accepted. 6 months ...

Anyone else do this, does it just really upset the TO.. Or are there other issues?

Hi Ben, perhaps it's too easy / simple to jump on the band-wagon of inefficient LPA / poss. 'maladministration' claim etc. and we should be mindful of the cuts in Local Government and the impact on service provision.

Hence what you have proposed, albeit more admin your end (for which some contractors charge the client, some also discount it off the job if they get it), may be a workable solution.

Is it worth, as a collective ideally I would suggest, trying to arrange a meeting with the Head Of Planning to both put the issue on the radar and, hopefully, agree a way forward?

In general though, sorry about that, quite disconcerting :001_huh:

Cheers..

Paul

PS In terms of programming works, would simply moving 8 weeks to 10 or 12 weeks be an idea?

I've just rung my local council today as I sent two applications in last week, and wondered why they hadn't been validated, supposedly the lady who deals with them and puts them on the system is on holiday, but surely they should have someone step in? Or maybe not? As far as 8 weeks! 6 should be max! 2 months and over is ridiculous!!

As Paul says many LA's are dispensing with Tree Officers. Many have just the one, Sometimes it's like swimming against a very strong tide.

They may be overworked but so am I... :001_smile: I don't want to make more work for them and make the situation worse but it ain't working at the moment...

I'm quite happy to give a split decision, Refuse/Approve, if their are multiple trees, and some works are unacceptable, and some are ok. Not sure how confusing this is for contractors, so any thoughts welcome.Ed

That would be useful but also approving lesser works, a reduction rather them a pollard or fell for example.. As a contractor I can advise clients what I think the council will go for but you can't be sure. If a client wants a tree out you have to try, it would be nice if the reply was no but you can do this.. As at the moment it is another application, not knowing the likely outcome..

I'm not happy to deal with applications with options, e.g. fell or top. It's your application, what do you want to do.

Why? If the owner wants to fell but if that is not allowed but a reduction would be acceptable then that could save an second application..

Pre-application advice is always helpful, but only if you can get someone out.

Never/rarely happens any more.. Just told to apply.

Going for a non-determination appeal may well take longer than nudging the person doing the tree work applications to issue a decision.

almost certainly .. Nudging and appeals all cost more time and energy... which no one is willing to pay for.

Appealing for non determination could help in the long run though, if lots of applications are going overdue, and a number are going to appeal that could help prioritise TOs over other things.

Fortunately not been a problem in my area, my local TO is happy to do site meetings where appropriate, and usually turns applications around quicker than the 8 weeks. The biggest holdup recently has been the registration team, who were running a week behind.

The most annoying problem I have come across and this goes for most Council Tree Officers . They never answer the bloody phone or have a retarded message that says they are out of the office at the moment so leave a message or a call back . ****** They are always out of the pigging office . Many never even return your call :sneaky2:

I really do believe that a Tree Officer should first of all spend time on the tools and then progress .

Best Tree Officer I have ever dealt with was a very skilled arborist that sustained an injury due to work and ended up a TO .