Timber Hauliers covering the South West ?

arboriculturist

I have been trying to get some roadside timber hauled 30 miles for 10 days now without success - so it's time to take a different approach.

If you are a reliable Timber Haulier with an 8 wheeler and cover Devon, Cornwall, South West Somerset / Dorset - please post.

Likewise if anyone knows a reliable Haulier please post their details or PM me.

It will be a huge relief to be able to make a phone call and arrange a collection or delivery of timber loads. ( or maybe this is not a reality?).

Any replies much appreciated.

Access down this way is limited, Artic restrictions on several roads, however I am working on improving access to an area I have in the future.

Best outfit we used for awkward sites was a chap from south wales that bought a new foden 6 wheeler with a lifting rear axle and single axle drag, I think it grossed 38 tonnes. He would carry the drag in and have the axle lifted for both traction and manoeuvring.

Now I see the lorries have centralised tyre inflation (to prevent damage to forest roads) and this gives better traction.

I've also wondered about the trailers we see in London now, short and with steering axles, presumably if you can get 29 tonne of wood on they go anywhere a rigid can??

Best outfit we used for awkward sites was a chap from south wales that bought a new foden 6 wheeler with a lifting rear axle and single axle drag, I think it grossed 38 tonnes. He would carry the drag in and have the axle lifted for both traction and manoeuvring.

Now I see the lorries have centralised tyre inflation (to prevent damage to forest roads) and this gives better traction.

I've also wondered about the trailers we see in London now, short and with steering axles, presumably if you can get 29 tonne of wood on they go anywhere a rigid can??

Thanks for the info. yes those drags are great units. The access here is perfect for standard 8 wheeler delivering - it is just finding reliable Hauliers and roundwood suppliers!

I am sure there are some in the South West - DO YOU OR ANYONE KNOW ANY ??? :thumbup1: