tree work, worth getting back into?

samwise25

Alright lads i need some advice. at the minute I'm in the army, I'm on my 4th year of service and my love of its gone so I'm looking at options for when I'm out. I'm originally from Newbury/Basingstoke area of Hampshire but posted to Leicestershire and looking at the possibility of settling in the east mids. What's the work and wages situation like in the area?

as a civvy i was a groundsman for 3 years and a climber for 3, i have CS 30 31 38 39, chipper, tractor, stump grinder, first aid/manual handling, and MEWP tickets. I was a half decent climber not the best or quickest but not the worst and safe.

I know asking what can i earn is like asking how longs a piece of string but could anyone give me a general idea? im 26 and don't mind hard work but if all im going to make is £70 for a 12 hour day its not a realistic option. I miss tree work but lets be honest its never paid the best I'm just trying to see if its worth getting back into or if i should look at other options.

any help opinions or advice would be great. thanks sam

Depends your age, but if you coming out the forces see if they will pay for some arb qualies. Climbing isn't worth it, **** work for rubbish pay and once the body is done then what?

its true that when the body is losing its lustre it is a hard thing to take but as for the poor wages, well yes im on the same money as 8-10 years ago, but I couldnt earn this much as unskilled labour in any other job!

Alright lads i need some advice. at the minute I'm in the army, I'm on my 4th year of service and my love of its gone so I'm looking at options for when I'm out. I'm originally from Newbury/Basingstoke area of Hampshire but posted to Leicestershire and looking at the possibility of settling in the east mids. What's the work and wages situation like in the area?

as a civvy i was a groundsman for 3 years and a climber for 3, i have CS 30 31 38 39, chipper, tractor, stump grinder, first aid/manual handling, and MEWP tickets. I was a half decent climber not the best or quickest but not the worst and safe.

I know asking what can i earn is like asking how longs a piece of string but could anyone give me a general idea? im 26 and don't mind hard work but if all im going to make is £70 for a 12 hour day its not a realistic option. I miss tree work but lets be honest its never paid the best I'm just trying to see if its worth getting back into or if i should look at other options.

any help opinions or advice would be great. thanks sam

My friend, do a little bit more time, think hard, we are in for some big reforms, I think you will find that if you get under your belt around 5 years or 5.5 i forget, then a few more resettlement options will be on the table, life in civvy street at the mo is a little pants, make sure any injuries you have had are well documented . :thumbup1:

its true that when the body is losing its lustre it is a hard thing to take but as for the poor wages, well yes im on the same money as 8-10 years ago, but I couldnt earn this much as unskilled labour in any other job!

True, but arboriculture is truly a skilled profession not recognised. I will say, I have many a friends who started off in banks call centres or restaurants as unskilled laboured who have now, many years down the line, well surpassed me via pay packets. My body is shot, not worth the effort in today's saturated market in my opinion unless you get your academics which is what I did.

Depends your age, but if you coming out the forces see if they will pay for some arb qualies. Climbing isn't worth it, **** work for rubbish pay and once the body is done then what?

yea pretty much the exact same thoughts that are going through my head. im only 26 but 4 years of squaddie life and 6 of treework mean some days i feel about 40! i should have some funding for doing courses. what arb quals are woth looking at?

My friend, do a little bit more time, think hard, we are in for some big reforms, I think you will find that if you get under your belt around 5 years or 5.5 i forget, then a few more resettlement options will be on the table, life in civvy street at the mo is a little pants, make sure any injuries you have had are well documented . :thumbup1:

yea thanks for the advice your right full resettlement starts at 5 years which i should get as at my 4 year point now and still have to serve a years notice. i know civvy street isnt all roses as some squaddies seem to think but im ready to move on and had enough, im just not sure what to yet.